Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #21
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

As stated, Watts and gallons are not the only required inputs. The WPG formula is worth just as much as the inch per gallon IMO. Nothing. There are no "types" of wattage. A watt is a known value. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt. Post a specific question if you would like one answered. Google and Wikipedia are good resources to start off with.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

answered on the first post. its fluorescent. maybe start a new thread explain what you have and what you want to do and they will be able to better explain it.

Quote:
As stated, Watts and gallons are not the only required inputs. The WPG formula is worth just as much as the inch per gallon IMO. Nothing. There are no "types" of wattage.
and this is 100% right there are so many factors in lighting and many other things.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #23
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
If I'm not mistaken the question was about what type of wattage the wattage per gallon formula follows (Fluorescent or Incandescent). By the way, this is going to be built for a 120 gal Tank, i don't think the 10 watt bulb will work to well in this application.
Again, what do you want to keep? What type of tank?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

it also requires what type of flora and fauna you will want to keep. Saltwater or freshwater? everything has different light requirements. will you want to keep corals? what types? Your original question was answered in the first response. but if you need more info we need more info to steer you in the right direction so you don't waste your time, money and effort.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
ok right now forget spectrum was even mentioned. what type of tank do you want to eventually keep?
This is for a 120 FOWLR I just started cycling, The initial question I asked about wattage per gallon needed an answer because everyone says 3 to 6 watts per gallon and don't always specify the type of lamp, even the article in these forums doesn't specify. The funny thing is Wattage is a measurement of power consumption not physical ouput, this another reason why i brought this question up. Then you have MH rated in wattage this is not based on fluorescent lamps but the power/wattage it consumes in one hour. Lumens is the measurement of light intensity not wattage. A 100 watt Flourescent lamps is going to be a **** of a lot brighter then a regukar 100 watt bulb. Wattage per gallon seems all wrong because if I follow the formula then i should be able to install 6 100 incandescent bulbs and call it a day.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #26
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
This is for a 120 FOWLR I just started cycling, The initial question I asked about wattage per gallon needed an answer because everyone says 3 to 6 watts per gallon and don't always specify the type of lamp, even the article in these forums doesn't specify. The funny thing is Wattage is a measurement of power consumption not physical ouput, this another reason why i brought this question up. Then you have MH rated in wattage this is not based on fluorescent lamps but the power/wattage it consumes in one hour. Lumens is the measurement of light intensity not wattage. A 100 watt Flourescent lamps is going to be a **** of a lot brighter then a regukar 100 watt bulb. Wattage per gallon seems all wrong because if I follow the formula then i should be able to install 6 100 watt bulbs and call it a day.
Exactly!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
As stated, Watts and gallons are not the only required inputs. The WPG formula is worth just as much as the inch per gallon IMO. Nothing. There are no "types" of wattage. A watt is a known value. Watt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Post a specific question if you would like one answered. Google and Wikipedia are good resources to start off with.
If the article on this site was specific i would already have my answer and wouldn't have to post anything to get additional answers. I'm new to SW and am spending a pretty penny setting up my 120 and just want to make certain everything I do and spend is 110% correct. On the other hand if you are not sure maybe you shoudln't attempt to answer something you really know nothing about. I spent 5 years of college to get my electrical engineering degree and have been working in the electrical/electronic construction industry for 25 years now, so I know the difference and found the article inconclusive and incomplete regarding the lighting. I thought this forum was suppose to help people achieve a goal not to prove how smart anyone member is. I'm sick of this crap, I've posted so many times and it's far and few between that i get a direct answer to a question, and it seems most of the replies have nothing to do with the initial question.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Exactly!
I forgot to add Incandescent before 6 100 watt bulbs.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

you cant fault some who is writing up the article. also being rude sure isnt going to get you anywhere. you asked a simple question and it was answered but thats not really want you want to do. no one is getting paid to help you. the others are taking their own time to try and figure out what you want and help you out. like i said.... if you make a thread explaining what you are doing and how you want it people can explain it and why.

with all the time you spent in college on the electrical engineering degree i would think you should know by now its not always that simple as WPG.

Quote:
I forgot to add Incandescent before 6 100 watt bulbs.
and for the 2nd time in this thread people dont use incandescent lighting for stuff like sw or planted fw. prob for the what 3-4th time the so called rule was based on fluorescent bulbs.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Joker741 Send a message via MSN to Joker741 Send a message via Yahoo to Joker741
Since you seem to know so much, maybe you can teach us.

Tags
watts, watts per gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com