Question about the watts per gallon formula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lighting is very frustrating in that there are so many veriables and it cost some bucks so you don't want to make a wrong decision. But like mike said we'll get you through. One last factor in the lighting game is Heat. With MH lamps you are more then likely going to have to add a chiller to the mix if you want to keep SPS corals.

If this is a typical 120g of 48"x24"x24" then two 250w halides would be fine. You may or may not need a chiller depending on fan use and your willingness to top the system off. You don't need actinic supplementation with halides and if you want a bluish tinge you can purchase a Reeflux 10k-12k, Phoenix 14k, Aqualine 13k, XM 15k, or Hamilton 14k. I prefer DE over mogul. As for a strictly T5 system an IceCap 6 bulb over-driven unit would work or better yet an ATI 8 bulb Powermodule.

Lighting is very frustrating in that there are so many veriables and it cost some bucks so you don't want to make a wrong decision. But like mike said we'll get you through. One last factor in the lighting game is Heat. With MH lamps you are more then likely going to have to add a chiller to the mix if you want to keep SPS corals.
A chiller is something I just can't do at this time, if I were to do that my new address would be the garage. A chiller could be in the cards for next year. Already into it for $2800 and i still have to do something for lighting as you all know.

If this is a typical 120g of 48"x24"x24" then two 250w halides would be fine. You may or may not need a chiller depending on fan use and your willingness to top the system off. You don't need actinic supplementation with halides and if you want a bluish tinge you can purchase a Reeflux 10k-12k, Phoenix 14k, Aqualine 13k, XM 15k, or Hamilton 14k. I prefer DE over mogul. As for a strictly T5 system an IceCap 6 bulb over-driven unit would work or better yet an ATI 8 bulb Powermodule.
My tank is 60 X 18 X 26, To purchase a chiller now after what was spent and what has to be spent on lighting will put me in the doghouse in the garage. Thanks for outlining my options, i'm going to start my list and price it out.

a fan directed across the top of the water might be enough of a chiller. i dont really know though since i've never used MH b4.
Thanx man, your the second person that recommended the identical solution.

Ok, I could try it and if becomes to frequent I could use the t5ho's until i can get a chiller. In any case at least the hood I'm going to build will be ready for my future reef endeavor.

Fans should do the trick. I have 925w of lighting in my canopy which includes MH's and VHO's. I have a Ranco dual stage temp controller which turns the fans (and heaters) off/on at set temps. As long as the room temp is below 80, I can easily keep my tank at 80-82. If the room temp gets over 80, I have the house AC on and the fans easily keep the tank at 80. I have fans in my canopy and also a fan over my sump.

For your lighting I would highly recommend using 2 Lumenarc Mini reflectors mounted about 18" above the water using 250w bulbs. You will get full coverage of your 60" tank using those reflectors. You can also check out my build thread where I made my own Lumenarc reflectors.
Check out Ballast Wise for ballasts. 250w electronic ballasts are $80 each.
Depending on the MH bulb you use, you may or may not need supplemental lighting. I personally like VHO actinic supplemental lighting, but you can get a T5HO electronic ballast to run 2 48" 54w bulbs from BallastWise for $30.

Coooool, that's great info, Thanx. Do they make 60" T5HO lamps? I haven't seen to many places that carry them. It's easy enough to stagger the smaller lamps. I'll check out ballast wise and get back to you. I'm going to order both MH & T5HO for versatility.

They do make them, but I'm not sure what kind of bulb selection they have or what ballast you would need to run them.
I think the 48" will work fine. That's only 6" short on each side. I don't think you will even notice it.

That's alot of light. It will definitely work, but if you get those Lumenarc reflectors I linked to previously, you can get away with 2 250w MH and 2 T5HO for supplemental lighting. Even tho T5's are thin, using them with individual reflectors at 2" wide each, they will take up some space. 6 bulbs x 2" each = 12" for the T5 setup....leaving you a 6" opening for the MH's if you mount the T5's 3 in front and 3 in back.

That's alot of light. It will definitely work, but if you get those Lumenarc reflectors I linked to previously, you can get away with 2 250w MH and 2 T5HO for supplemental lighting. Even tho T5's are thin, using them with individual reflectors at 2" wide each, they will take up some space. 6 bulbs x 2" each = 12" for the T5 setup....leaving you a 6" opening for the MH's if you mount the T5's 3 in front and 3 in back.
This is what I ordered, 4-48" T5HO reflectors and waterproof , 2-250w MH Parabolic HQI reflector w/lens (Lumenarc Mini 2 xpensive at this point), 2-Phoenix MH 250W 14,000K lamps (Innovator recommended), 1-1,2,3 or 4 lamp Ballastwise DXE4H05U T5HO Ballast max output 232w, and 2-MH 250w ballasts also from ballastwise. This should be a good start. I'll add moonlight stuff later. I'll get everything wired up and installed then I'll find out which lamps to get for the T5HO.
Thanks for everyones help on this crazy topic.

Nice going, Keith. Now, just remember slow and easy wins the race.

Back
Top Bottom