Question for Eheim 2026 owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snorkel

Aquarium Advice Regular
How quiet are these really?

I just bought a Rena XP3 and it was so loud I sent it back in two days.

I have a fifty gallon with a aquaclear 70 on it and it keeps the water very clear and I can't hear it unless I am within 2 feet of it, I could hear the Filstar from 15 feet away and it was in the cabinet with the door closed.

My question is will the eheim be as quiet or quieter than my current AC? I don't mind spending a little more if it is truly worth it.

Thanks,

Snorkle

Sorry about the bad luck you have had with your filter. I have an Eheim 2028 Pro on my 75 gallon. The tank is on a wrought iron stand and I have the filter in a big terra cotta pot. It is SILENT. Not even a teenie echo from inside the pot. You get what you pay for.

What about when you first bought/installed it? was it silent right away, or did it have to break in for two weeks like everyone said about the filstar?

Thanks,

Snorkel

catwumman said:
Sorry about the bad luck you have had with your filter. I have an Eheim 2028 Pro on my 75 gallon. The tank is on a wrought iron stand and I have the filter in a big terra cotta pot. It is SILENT. Not even a teenie echo from inside the pot. You get what you pay for.

Cool, I ordered one from Big Al's, will have it tommorow.
Hope I like it better than the Filstar :)

Thanks for the info

Snorkel

catwumman said:
Dead silent from the second I first plugged it in.

It's good to see that I'm not the only one obsessed with quiet filtration.

I have an XP3 on my 75G, and it is much quieter than the AC 110 that used to be there, but I'd definitely not call it silent.

Let us know if you find the eheim to be much quieter than the XP3 - I can always use an excuse to buy new hardware :drool: :drool:

Someone from Aquarium Pharmicuticals actually called me back and said the XP3 should not be that loud, he said you would have to get within a foot or so to hear it.
Rena must have manufacturing quality problems, because some seem to be loud and others are quiet.

he was kind of upset when I told him I already returned it :)

I think "quiet" all depends on where you are. I had an Emperor 400 that I thought was terribly loud, but when I tried to return it to the lfs, they actually took it out, hooked it up and said "It sounds fine to me". Well of course they have 100+ tanks running in there and you can barely hear someone talk if you don't yell, so of course it sounds fine. I still have that stupid Emperor in storage somewhere :oops: I finally got someone at Marineland to send me a new impeller, but by the time I got it I had given up and bought the AC110. And of course that was still too noisy for me so I got the XP3.

Anyway, I can certainly hear my XP3 from across the room, so do you think maybe AP would want to send me a new one?
Or maybe I should just chuck it and buy a new eheim :twisted:

Coudn't hurt to give them a call, it has a two year warranty.

I just got my Eheim today and just like the others have said, it is totally silent, more so than my AC70, even with the door open I can't hear it, I have to get within 5 inches of it to hear anything.

The reason the Filstars are loud is the design of the impeller bay and the way the water is routed, after I saw how the Ehiem is designed, I don't think the Filstar could ever be as quiet. The area for water to move around the impeller fan is about 3 times the size of the Filstar, and the impeller fan is bigger. The smaller the fan and the faster it spins the more noise it will make.

After running the Ehiem, I totally believe it was worth the 50 dollars more I paid over the XP3, the eheim also came with the stock green plumbing and the smoke colored universal intake and spray bar, which is very nice, way nicer than the funky blue color of the rena.

SteveM said:
Anyway, I can certainly hear my XP3 from across the room, so do you think maybe AP would want to send me a new one?
Or maybe I should just chuck it and buy a new eheim :twisted:

catwumman said:
Let me know how you love it!

You where 100% right, it's totally silent, I am very happy with it :) And so glad I sent the Filstar back. Totally worth the extra money.

I always buy stuff I am unsure of from Petsmart.com or petco.com they both have no questions asked refund policies, that way you can avoid situations like this. I got suckered into getting a eclipse 3 system (it totally sucked), but I got it from Petco, and they took it back ever after I had used it for more than 30 days, how cool is that :)

SteveM said:
I think "quiet" all depends on where you are. I had an Emperor 400 that I thought was terribly loud, but when I tried to return it to the lfs, they actually took it out, hooked it up and said "It sounds fine to me". Well of course they have 100+ tanks running in there and you can barely hear someone talk if you don't yell, so of course it sounds fine. I still have that stupid Emperor in storage somewhere

snorkel said:
You where 100% right, it's totally silent, I am very happy with it :) And so glad I sent the Filstar back. Totally worth the extra money.

Is it quiet enough to make up for my wife's yelling when she finds out I want to buy one? My XP3 is getting louder and louder the more we talk about it :lol:

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission :)
More than likely your wife wouldn't even notice if you had a new one sitting under there.
Of course you could give AP a call they many send you a new motor housing and impeller.

SteveM said:
Is it quiet enough to make up for my wife's yelling when she finds out I want to buy one? My XP3 is getting louder and louder the more we talk about it :lol:

My 2026 arrives today - (replacing a fluval 204) can't wait to hook it up!

by the way, I had no problem with the Fluval, it is quiet , and does a great job.

Im looking forward to "less maintenance" with the Eheim. My tank is low in stock so im

hoping to be on a 3-6 month filter cleaning cycle :) .

I usually hit the Fluval once a month.

Can anybody tell me if I can fit a 2026 in a 40cm high space (open backed so tubes can go that way) ???

Back
Top Bottom