Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question for Eheim 2026 owners

How quiet are these really?

I just bought a Rena XP3 and it was so loud I sent it back in two days.

I have a fifty gallon with a aquaclear 70 on it and it keeps the water very clear and I can't hear it unless I am within 2 feet of it, I could hear the Filstar from 15 feet away and it was in the cabinet with the door closed.

My question is will the eheim be as quiet or quieter than my current AC? I don't mind spending a little more if it is truly worth it.

Thanks,

Snorkle

Old 04-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sorry about the bad luck you have had with your filter. I have an Eheim 2028 Pro on my 75 gallon. The tank is on a wrought iron stand and I have the filter in a big terra cotta pot. It is SILENT. Not even a teenie echo from inside the pot. You get what you pay for.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

What about when you first bought/installed it? was it silent right away, or did it have to break in for two weeks like everyone said about the filstar?

Thanks,

Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwumman
Sorry about the bad luck you have had with your filter. I have an Eheim 2028 Pro on my 75 gallon. The tank is on a wrought iron stand and I have the filter in a big terra cotta pot. It is SILENT. Not even a teenie echo from inside the pot. You get what you pay for.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #4

Dead silent from the second I first plugged it in.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool, I ordered one from Big Al's, will have it tommorow.
Hope I like it better than the Filstar

Thanks for the info

Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwumman
Dead silent from the second I first plugged it in.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #6

Woo Hoooooooooo!!!!!

I can't wait for you!!!! Let me know how you love it!

Old 04-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's good to see that I'm not the only one obsessed with quiet filtration.

I have an XP3 on my 75G, and it is much quieter than the AC 110 that used to be there, but I'd definitely not call it silent.

Let us know if you find the eheim to be much quieter than the XP3 - I can always use an excuse to buy new hardware
Old 04-20-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Someone from Aquarium Pharmicuticals actually called me back and said the XP3 should not be that loud, he said you would have to get within a foot or so to hear it.
Rena must have manufacturing quality problems, because some seem to be loud and others are quiet.

he was kind of upset when I told him I already returned it
Old 04-20-2005, 11:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think "quiet" all depends on where you are. I had an Emperor 400 that I thought was terribly loud, but when I tried to return it to the lfs, they actually took it out, hooked it up and said "It sounds fine to me". Well of course they have 100+ tanks running in there and you can barely hear someone talk if you don't yell, so of course it sounds fine. I still have that stupid Emperor in storage somewhere I finally got someone at Marineland to send me a new impeller, but by the time I got it I had given up and bought the AC110. And of course that was still too noisy for me so I got the XP3.

Anyway, I can certainly hear my XP3 from across the room, so do you think maybe AP would want to send me a new one?
Or maybe I should just chuck it and buy a new eheim
Old 04-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Coudn't hurt to give them a call, it has a two year warranty.

I just got my Eheim today and just like the others have said, it is totally silent, more so than my AC70, even with the door open I can't hear it, I have to get within 5 inches of it to hear anything.

The reason the Filstars are loud is the design of the impeller bay and the way the water is routed, after I saw how the Ehiem is designed, I don't think the Filstar could ever be as quiet. The area for water to move around the impeller fan is about 3 times the size of the Filstar, and the impeller fan is bigger. The smaller the fan and the faster it spins the more noise it will make.

After running the Ehiem, I totally believe it was worth the 50 dollars more I paid over the XP3, the eheim also came with the stock green plumbing and the smoke colored universal intake and spray bar, which is very nice, way nicer than the funky blue color of the rena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
Anyway, I can certainly hear my XP3 from across the room, so do you think maybe AP would want to send me a new one?
Or maybe I should just chuck it and buy a new eheim

Tags
eheim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com