Question for those with generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
For those of you that have generators to backup your fish tanks: What size generator do you have (watts) and what do you run off it? I had a power outage last night for only an hour, but it got me thinking of buying a generator to cover my fish tanks (29 and 75 salt, 140 and 240 fresh). Please post the generator size and what you hook up to it. I would like to power the tanks and a couple lights.

I run a 7500w DuroMax (I think that's the brand) and it powers two older fridges, sump pump and Fluval 406 and a 300w heater. No lights on the tank, just a few standard light bulbs.

Basically you need to figure how many watts all the stuff you want hooked up run on. Then buy a generator that is rated for higher than that (so it doesn't run at the higher end all the time).

Cost a pretty penny but is well worth it. Just saving all the food in your fridge(s) will pay for itself in a long power outage. Combine your stock's value and you could be well over the initial price of the generator.

Last edited:
Looking up the specs on my tanks, they take very little power. The mag9.5 is 93 watts and the powerheads (4) are about 6 watts each. That is only 117 if I'm not running the lights off it. The average refrigerator is 700 watts. Add a couple lamps to that and you could probably get by it about a 3000 watt generator. Anyone else running a generator? Lets have the info!

I have a 7500 continuous and I run a freezer, well pump,refrigerator ,most of the lights in my house, two sump pumps, 2 rena canister filters, heater, a ton of medical equipment. I'm not home right now so I don't remember the name brand ill have to look later on when o get home. I could probably run a lot more more I try not to push it to much. Hope this helps

Edit I forgot in the winter it will run my furnace.

I have a 7500 watt briggs. I can run the whole house basically fridge, furnace, television, as many lights as needed, the computers, and 6 Rena canister filters,9 Aquaclear hob's, and the blower in my fish room that supplies about 70 tanks!! My next move is a 14,000 automatic start permanent generator so I can run the AC unit for our house.

You'd be surprised at how little your fish tanks actually pull..... I use a car battery with a two-plug 800w power inverter, and that's more than enough to run both my 29g FW & 28g SW LED nano cube for a few days. The biggest juice suckers by far are the heaters.... if those don't need to run, my set-up will last almost a week.

Remember you can wrap your tanks in styrofoam or blankets to keep them insulated during power outages. That will help keep the heat in and run your heater less.

Back
Top Bottom