Question for you Fluval Users

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been using the fluval 404 for the past 8 weeks on my 75gal tank. I set it up with the outflow suspended a quarter length under the water surface.

I encountered a small problem with water cloudiness and I think I know why. If this makes any sense let me know.

Since the outflow is submerged, there is absolutely no surface agitation at all.
My water from the tap is quite cloudy and clears up in a standing glass after a few minutes.

My 30gal usually clears up within a few hours. The 75gal seems to take almost a week or more.

My theory is that the cloudiness is due to having no surface agitation (as compared to the tank that does. Could it be due to all the water remaining in a "closed" system?

The PWC methods are the same for each tank, both are done at the same time.

What do you guys think?

I couldn't tell you why.... try bringing it up a bit to get some aggitation. Either that or I could come of and aggitate I am good at it when I put my mind to it. :eek:P

I am feeling in a mood to aggitate. Stir up trouble and annoy........ I don't think it would be useful for me to :twisted: come up and aggitate.

Lame joke I am sorry.

It should have read... "come up and aggitate"...... and I don't even have fat fingers to blame the typing on. :p

Ok, I get it now...a pun! I really didn't want to get all agitated about this myself but, if you would like to come up and agitate, you're more than welcome. :D

Well jchillen, i have mine submerged completly under water. The only difference is im using filtered water and i don't have any cloudiness, but i do have small paritcialce still floating around so maybe that cold be the same reason. I also haven't put any fine mech in my fluval yet either its still running what fluval sent me with, so that could be the reason too.... I agree with matrox maybe let it lip out of the water a little like an 1/8 or sometihng so stir some water around....

It sounds like a good idea to get some surface agitation. Try to adjust your outflow to get some agitation without making the water movement too strong -- depending on what your fish like, of course.

My tap water is like that too -- it comes out all cloudy and has tons of little air bubbles suspended in it. To get water for my tanks, I use the laundry tub faucet because it doesn't have an aerator (one of those screen things) on it. I also pour my water a day or two, to let it age, before doing a water change. After aging, a lot of big bubbles stick to the sides of the jug, so I tap the jug to dissipate them. I could see how that's impractical for you, though, to have 15-20 gallons of water lying around in jugs, aging for your next water change. So try the surface agitation and see if that will make any small bubbles and cloudiness go away.

Good news...I tried the suggestions and the tank cleared up! Most of this problem lies with me...I used the old fashioned method of refilling the tank (didn't use the python)...cleaned out the hoses too.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom