Question on 5G jugs..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'll be using 5G jugs for saltwater storage but it's just hit me that they're unbelievably heavy when full.

How do you guys get the water out of the jug and into the tank?
It's opening is a 2" hole and it has a handle on top.

I'll have to get the water from the ground up about 5ft.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could use a powerhead like the maxijet 1200 to pump the water through a hose to your tank from the jugs until it can't anymore, and at that point there won't be much water left so it'll be easy to lift and dump the remaining water into the tank.

You could use a powerhead like the maxijet 1200 to pump the water through a hose to your tank from the jugs until it can't anymore, and at that point there won't be much water left so it'll be easy to lift and dump the remaining water into the tank.

+1 this is what I did.

How small is this Powerhead though?
Like I said, the hole is only 2".

I've just had an idea...
Since the water level in the jug will always be higher than an empty bucket
I could syphon water out of it into a bucket
Pour that into the tank and syphon again

This way the water level in the jug will remain higher than in the bucket!

It's only 40lbs. You could just pour some into a bucket a gallon at a time. I keep a barrel with a pump in it for wc's, makes life way easier. Maybe look into something like that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's only 40lbs. You could just pour some into a bucket a gallon at a time. I keep a barrel with a pump in it for wc's, makes life way easier. Maybe look into something like that?

Maybe in the future.. Right now I'm pretty limited with what I'm allowed to do.

Maybe in the future.. Right now I'm pretty limited with what I'm allowed to do.

I hear you. Amazon has cheap submersible pond pumps, may be worth checking out. Good luck on the salty side!

How small is this Powerhead though?
Like I said, the hole is only 2".

In that case, you could use a small external / inline pump, put the intake side of the hose in the jug and run the output up to your tank

In that case, you could use a small external / inline pump, put the intake side of the hose in the jug and run the output up to your tank

Got any particular brands in mind for these pumps?
Never heard of one if I'm honest.

these have been working pretty darn good for me, the smallest I have is about 2"x2". it's the AP1000, but I only paid about $16 at lfs.

jebo water pumps

Tried searching for that pump, not too sure if I can get it over the pond.

I did come across this thing tho: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LEETLS8/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

I know it's probably cheap and crappy but for a once-a-week use I'm really not bothered.

Using this tubing to follow: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008NC98H8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1413663606&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Tried searching for that pump, not too sure if I can get it over the pond.

I did come across this thing tho: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LEETLS8/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

I know it's probably cheap and crappy but for a once-a-week use I'm really not bothered.

Using this tubing to follow: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008NC98H8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1413663606&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

That'll work well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

May want to up the output a bit, that's basically what you're looking for though.

May want to up the output a bit, that's basically what you're looking for though.

Well it says 240l/h, what's that? Like 60g/h? 1g/min?

I think a 2 minute job will do me fine.

How about that tubing?
The nozzles on the pump are 8.6mm OD and the tube is 8mm ID..

This is the right tube right?

Well it says 240l/h, what's that? Like 60g/h? 1g/min?

I think a 2 minute job will do me fine.

It'll work fine, but keep in mind the higher the pump has to pump the water, the longer it'll take for it to pump it.

As for the tubing, that will fit but worst case scenario you use a heat gun to heat up the tube and get it around the fittings on the pump, but I doubt that will be necessary.

-Golfer

It'll work fine, but keep in mind the higher the pump has to pump the water, the longer it'll take for it to pump it.

Believe me, anything would be quicker than me trying to lift a 5G jug..

Back
Top Bottom