Question on filter cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
This might be a stupid question, but here it goes. I bought the wrong size cartridge for my filter, and instead of trying to exchange them or lose money on them I figured out a way to get them to fit. I took out the plastic frame work that was inside the media bag. Now it's just the media bag and the stuff inside. My question is: will this still be adequate for filtration? I plan on having a sponge on the intake tube for the filter and a sponge filter in the tank as well.

Thanks in advance!

The plastic is there just for structural purposes. You should be OK with that setup, but I would ditch the metal clips and either use all plastic ones or some aquarium safe sealant to seal the top of the bag.

I ditched those crappy cartridges for my little aqueon and stuffed it with my own media (sponge, biomedia, and topped off with purigen

The plastic is there just for structural purposes. You should be OK with that setup, but I would ditch the metal clips and either use all plastic ones or some aquarium safe sealant to seal the top of the bag.

I was thinking of sewing the top up with fishing line. Will probably do that in the next couple days. I made sure that the clips weren't touching any of the water.

I ditched those crappy cartridges for my little aqueon and stuffed it with my own media (sponge, biomedia, and topped off with purigen

I have been making sponges filters for QT's and extra filtration on my tanks, so I have sponges that I might use when I'm out of the cartridges. Just getting my money's worth for now.

Back
Top Bottom