Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question on Micron Filter

Hi - These may be some dumb questions, but I've tried to find the answers online and can't come up with anything.

First of all can I use a micron filter with a sit on top filter (I currently have a Penguin Power Filter rated for 50-70 gallons)? What I mean is am I able to put this in my sit on top in with carbon filters. Or could it be put around the tube of the filter that hangs down into the tank and sucks in the water.

Secondly if I can use this and am putting it in with the carbon filters what do I put in it? Can I put charcoal or carbon in there and omit the carbon filter pads that I currently use?

The reason I'm asking about micron socks is becuase I have a mild Ich breakout in my tank and in researching how best to take care of it I came across some information that said socks/micron filters are good at catching the Ich at one of its stages. Also, it seems that they are really good at helping the nitrates etc. and keeping the water extra clean so if they're a good thing and I can use them I'd like to.

Finally if I can't use the micron sock is there something else I can use with this filter for catching things like Ich and pollutants, or would the carbon pads be sufficient.
Thanks for your advice!

dottie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I hope somebody answers this question. Im having the same problem.

Dmbandstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion
A couple of things:

1. You don't need to run carbon in a FW tank. It is great to use occasionally or after you have added meds and want to remove them.

2. Using a filter is not going to be a good way to prevent or control ich.

3. You can just get rid of the carbon filter and stuff the micron filter down into it and it will work just fine.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
To actually get rid of ich using a micron filter, you'd need something that's very high flow and you would have to keep it running for a LONG time to ensure that everything was filtered out. Even then, I doubt it would be 100% effective.

Ich is effectively impossible to kill in two of it's three life stages, but when it's in the free swimming stage it's much easier. That's where micron filtration 'could' get it, but it's much more effective to kill it by raising the temperature. Reason being, higher temperatures speed up it's life cycle and when you reach 86 degrees or higher, you interrupt the life cycle. That makes it run it's course faster and prevents it from breeding and re-infesting your fish.
jestes is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, micro, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com