Question on penn Plax 1000 canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkatts

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am building a new 65g aquarium. I bought my first canister filter. Penn Plax Cascade 1000.
The manual clearly states the filtration works from bottom to top.
But it says the order of the media is carbon in bottom basket and course/fine aponges in the top. Floss in the middle basket.
My confusion is I am seeing, which makes sense, is the the order from bottom to top should be mechanical filter first, then bio, then chemical since the water flows from bottom to top.
I'm not is a position yet to plug it in and see which way the water flows.
Anyone use this filter that can steer me right?
Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I am building a new 65g aquarium. I bought my first canister filter. Penn Plax Cascade 1000.
The manual clearly states the filtration works from bottom to top.
But it says the order of the media is carbon in bottom basket and course/fine aponges in the top. Floss in the middle basket.
My confusion is I am seeing, which makes sense, is the the order from bottom to top should be mechanical filter first, then bio, then chemical since the water flows from bottom to top.
I'm not is a position yet to plug it in and see which way the water flows.
Anyone use this filter that can steer me right?
Thanks!

First, I wouldn't use carbon.
Carbon or No carbon?

I put the ceramic noodles on the bottom, then the sponge media, then I put in Eheim SUBSTAT filter media, then the fine floss last.

What are the ceramic noodles for?
Otherwise you do the same thing? mechanical, bio then chemical?

the hollow ceramic tubes trap waste, disperse water in different directions, and create more surface area for beneficial bacteria(BB). Your filter is basically a BB factory...that is what breaks down waste from your fish. Plants are also mini-filters themselves (read "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" by Diana Walstad). The carbon debate is one of those ongoing arguments for planted tank use. Some Aquarists like carbon, some don't.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom