Question on powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a Rio 600, and it rattles. Could it be defective? On the box it says it's supposed to be silent running. When I have it in the middle of the tank it's fine, but when I get it to within an inch of the glass, it rattles. Also, when I restrict the output in any way, it rattles more. When I take the output off the powerhead so there's no restriction, it doesn't rattle. Is this common for Rio's? I also have an AquaClear Powerhead in my small tank, and it's dead silent.

are you sure its not touching the glass? When mine gets to the point where its almost touching the glass it vibrates on back glass panel, causeing a slight ratteling sound. just my opinion. good luck

It's not touching the glass. I can hold it in my hand and as it gets to within an inch of the glass, it rattles. Also, when I turn the flow down, it rattles louder.

Well, it didn't stay quiet long. I got my other 2 powerheads in today, and they are silent. So it looks the first one is defective. Instead of going through trying to send it back, I'm just going to keep it as a spare. I think 2 will do just fine for what I need.

I also tried hooking up the air inlet to one of them, and it just sprays out water. Lucky it didn't get my power strip below. I just can't figure out why it's not sucking the air in. Tried just about every possible thing. Ah well, can't win everything. :)

Well, not good. When I woke up this morning, both powerheads were noisy, just like the first one. I think I don't like the Rio's. I might have to ger AquaClears instead, like the one in my small tank. Can't hear it at all.

Back
Top Bottom