question on protein skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annie/Aggie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up a 210g and don't have a protein skimmer yet. When I went to buy the heater it was pretty expensive for that size tank so my "fish guy" LOL, said put it in the 50g sump instead and only heat that. It works great as I'm sure all you experienced people know and saved me a lot of cash. Can the same thing be done with the protein skimmer? I've noticed there is an "in sump" set-up for them so do I just get the skimmer for the volume of water in the sump or the tank itself??? :oops:

How many watts did the fish guy recommend?
You should have 2-3 watts per gallon for the total amount of water in the system. It is recommended to split that up between two heaters so you can save money that way. So instead of 1 600 watt heater (260 gallons of water times 2 = 620) you get 2 300 watt heaters.
From what you wrote it sounds like you have a 100-150 watt heater. It may appear to be working but its running all the time heater the water. Your saving on the heater but paying for it in electricity
The guys logic is off.
The smaller skimmers would probably appear to work also. The problem is it would not be skimming the volume of water you need so you would get a slow build up of material in the tank but your skimmer would be skimming like crazy.

Thanks, I didn't realize that about the heater. I've kinda wondered about his information for awhile now, that's why I'm here, for some proper advice. I will go with a skimmer big enough for the tank and also change that heater asap.
much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom