Questions about divided betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sliderfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last week I decided to remodel my 20 gal long grow out tank into something different that I hadn't done before (gotta love Christmas break). I thought for a while then decided on dividing it into 3 separate betta tanks. Using acrylic, I cut two squares to shape and siliconed them into place. It turned out great and now I have three equal divisions at roughly 6 2/3s gallons a piece. I have three filters and heaters from other excursions that will be used as I did not want to depend on putting holes into the acrylic and pray for proper water flow or worry about the bettas swimming through, getting stuck or seeing each other. Also this allows me to only run one tank at a time (or two) without using the entire tank and if I need to use the tank as a grow out tank for a small batch in the future I can still use it for this as well, if I don't have it filled with bettas which I most likely will :).

My one problem I ran into in the build however was a lack of colored or opaque plastic to work with. I ended up going with clear acrylic and was going to silicone some extra slate I had to the sides to keep the bettas from noticing each other and to add to the cool factor. After putting the pieces in place I am beginning to second guess this and am looking for other options to conceal the fish from each other. I was thinking about adding some black plastic that people use on the backs of their tanks, but i want it to look crisp and well done. Can I pull that off? Anyone done something like this before? I'd like to hear any ideas on the situation that I may be able to pull from.

Also while I've got you, I was thinking about adding some Otto cats in with the bettas or possibly shrimp. Any ideas on companions? Again the divisions are right at 6 2/3 gallons or so and I am using a fine white sand as substrate.

Thanks!

Ive always wanted to try this. Howre you going to ensure proper circulation? And can u put up some pics?

That's what I figured Mumma...I am thinking shrimp. I considered a moss wall, how would I go about setting it onto the divides? I am new to planted/live plant tanks.

Tarpon-- I am not worried about flow from one side to the other, each division has it's own heater and filter.

sliderfish said:
That's what I figured Mumma...I am thinking shrimp. I considered a moss wall, how would I go about setting it onto the divides? I am new to planted/live plant tanks.

Tarpon-- I am not worried about flow from one side to the other, each division has it's own heater and filter.
here is a step by step guide. Moss is super easy to grow. It will grow with whatever lighting you have on the tank. I have some growing in a bowl with just ambient light from a glass door 5m away.

http://www.aquamoss.net/How to create a moss wall/How to create a moss wall.htm

Mumma that page isn't working for me. I assumed it wouldn't be hard, but I'm not sold on any option 100% yet lol

OK got it thanks...I am leaning towards using Krylon fusion paint on the dividers now...

I will be adding a flower pot cave to each division and will be looking at using live plants. Any ideas on what I can use in such a set up? I want something that looks great and won't over power the tank and can grow in the small grain sand I will be using. Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom