questions about protein skimmers, has anyone tried these??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

30_gallon_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
has anyone tried these skimmers i found them on ebay and am thinking about getting one, mainly cus i desperately need one for my 35 gallon.
has anyone tried these and do they work. what do you think about them.
im new to sw so any comment is important to me.
thanks let me know:
JB 180 hang-on skimmer its on ebay home and garden/pet supplie/fish/filters.

If it the jebo I have one. Got it on ebay. They work pretty good but the one we have is too big and heavy to go in the tank. We ended up having to make a sump and put it in there. We have a 90g and these skimmers are pretty big. The one we have actually has to hang inside the tank not on the back. Read the description very well and make sure it is hob not inside.

thanks ill look into it, is it normal for these skimmers to be soo cheap, as its only 30 bux us. 0X

I have one its my first protein skimmer and it works pretty good, but I really dont have anything to compare it to. Only thing I have to say bad about it is watch it extremely close for the first couple week. Mine would overflow almost instantly draining gallons out of my fish tank. I run mine with the air valve completely open and it works great

The overflow may be from water conditioners. They tend to make skimmers go crazy from the slime coat they provide. "prime" will condition but leave the skimmer output normal

THey always run about 30 plus shipping. It takes a couple of weeks to get any skimmer broken in so that it won't overflow. THis one actually works best when it has a thin coat of gunk on the throat inside. When I clean it I only rinse it out I very seldom wash it well because it will take a couple of days to get a good coat of gook on it again. The bubbles climb better when they have something to hold onto. I have had a Seaclone before and it was very bad. This one is a Seaclone clone but works much, much better. IMO

i bought my 180 jebo probably from the same site on ebay..i like mine and works well....it does take some tweaking of the venturi line but i am very pleased with this under 50 dollar skimmer :D

doug

what do you mean tweaking of the venturi line. why do they tend to overflow? how can you prevent this? i dont want mine to overflow :(

i have never had mine over flow, :wink: the tweaking is for the amount of foam...wheni bought mine i had to keep the valve completely off after a couple weeks i was able to put it on and adjust untill i was happy with its performance..

doug

I also have the same protein skimmer, it does overflow for me i didn't make the connection before that it was everytime i cleaned it! I would definelty recommend it, i've had mine for over 2 yrs, and still works perfect.

lbaier said:
I also have the same protein skimmer, it does overflow for me i didn't make the connection before that it was everytime i cleaned it! I would definelty recommend it, i've had mine for over 2 yrs, and still works perfect.

so when you pulled the cup you forgot to shut it off first? lol that is funny i did that the first time, becomes a pain after ahwile having to shut it off...i never shut it off anymore...i just use a turky baster and suck out the sludge

doug

Back
Top Bottom