Questions about protien skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want toget a skimmer but am unsure if skimmer rated for 30gallons will do the job for a 25 gallon tank? I'm working with limited space and don't have 150$ to spend on a skimmer. I found one. For 60$ on foster and smith that is rated 30 gallons is this large enough or should I keep lookimg?

I would keep looking. You want a skimmer that is rated for double your water volume usually.

Are you having any particular issues with your tank that makes you want a skimmer? With a 30g tank you should be doing fine if you do your weekly water changes. :)

My nitrates are always high and I want a coral beauty so I want to keep the water quality high so it doesn't get sick.

There's one thats rated for 100 gallons that is only 90$

Well nitrates should be handled with water changes and not overfeeding or overstocking. :)

Do you have a sump or did you need a hang on skimmer? Van you link the one you mentioned?

That skimmer would at least fit behind my tank. I only have a max of 5 inches behind my tank assuming I move it forward. Right now I have 4 inches and I would like to not move it.

The octopus would work. A bit more then I wanted to spend but thats ok I think. I may call me lfs and. See if they have one for sale still. They had one a week ago.

Ok well I think that is what I'll get for my skimmer. I just think my tank would be better off with a skimmer and a bit easier me so I can give enough time to all my tanks. Also I want to feed my coral beauty 3 times a day to avoid coral nipping as much as possible. At least I read this works rather well

A skimmer will never hurt. :) Only good things can happen if you get one.

I feed my biocube 2 times a day so I know about parameters slipping. lol I still havent added a skimmer to it yet though and water changes have been doing the job.

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you!

Back
Top Bottom