Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-23-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Questions about setting up sump and chiller....

I am going to set up a sump for my 65 gal reef tank at work. I originally thought I would build my own - I love the DIY 40 gal sump thread by RLG2182 http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046

Then I started thinking maybe it would just be easier to buy a premade one. I went to the LFS to do that yesterday but they were out so I started shopping around and thinking again about what would be best.

So I guess my first Q is: If money isn't really a concern, (my boss pays for it and doesn't care) would you still make it yourself or would you buy it? premade. And if you would buy it, where would you recommend doing so?

Secondly, I have an HOB protein skimmer that works ok I guess. Would it be important to get a new in-sump skimmer? What would you recommend? I have seen these ones with a needle wheel - are those the best?

And lastly, at least for now, I bought a 1/4 HP Via Aqua chiller. In the directions, they say the water must be filtered prior to going into the chiller. In the pics it looks like they have the water going from the tank to a canister filter and then to the chiller. Do I need to buy a canister or some other type of filter?

Thanks for any opinions/suggestions!

65 gal SW
Fish: Coral Beauty,Yellow Tang,Yellow Damsel,2 Yellow-Tailed Damsels,8 blue/green chromis,royal gramma.

Inverts: 3 Feather Duster,Coco Worm,sandsifting starfish,Tiger-Tail Sea Cucumber,hermit crabs,nassarius snails,turbos,maragaritas.

Corals: Colt,Plate,Xenia,Mushrooms,polyps,alveopora,leathe rs.

Equip: Aquaclear 500,Penguin Biowheel 150,protein skimmer,2 power heads.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
gee, thanks for all the help

nm - figured it all out myself.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, chiller, setting up, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com