questions about the filter setup in my 150gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turbovr6

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just picked up this tank from my friends father. It was a saltwater tank, I'm going the freshwater route. My big question here is the filtering system. In the first picture you can see the filter box inside the tank. There are 2 800 GPH pumps and basically 3 shelf areas to add media.
In the second picture(sorry a bit wierd took from inside) you can see at the top there are 3 openings for water to get in. Then on the sides at the bottom there are 2 holes for water to enter.
So right now I am confused on how this works. If I add filter media to the 3 tiers then that water gets filtered before it reaches the pumps at the bottom. Whats the deal with the holes on the bottom. It would appear that any water flowing through there bypasses the filters.
After someone is nice enough to explain this to me, I would appreciate some suggestions on what type of media to put on each layer, and if I can use sand for the bottom instead of gravel. I have the day off tomorrow and plan on buying lots of supplies :)
filter.jpg

filterbox.jpg

tank1.jpg

Thanks everyone :D

First guess would be the bottom holes prevent the filters from running dry when your doing water changes. Also the bottom holes would help make sure that the pumps aren't able to over flow the top of the tank when it's near full, if the slots in the top of the overflow aren't able to handle the entire backwash from the pumps. From the look of the first picture it would appear the top of the overflow box is level with the top edge of the tank, so that would be a worry if not for the bottom holes.

Looks like a nice clean tank though. :D

Back
Top Bottom