questions: HOB Skimmer and HOB refuge for new setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason1985

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently in the works of setting up a 75 gallon Reef tank and going sumpless to make it as simple as possible

Should I go with a HOB refuge along with an octopus HOB Skimmer?

What HOB Skimmer is recomended and what HOB refuge is suggested?

I plan on having this 75gal heavy stocked eventually.

Thank you

I wouldn't do a 75 without a sump, I wouldn't do a 30 without a sump. There are many benefits of a sump. A sump offers extra volume, space for a fuge that is actually big enough for a 75, space for a skimmer that is actually big enough for a 75, a place for other equipment like heaters and media reactors. The overflow also keeps the water's surface clean. It also offers a safe place to add new water at a water change, top off water, additives, etc. Dumping any of these in the display tank can stress out your livestock.

I agree with everthing you said and that's how my tank is setup.

I have a 90 gallon setup with a 30 gallon sump/fuge with all the equipment hidden below the tank. I love it!
But for this 75 gallon I am trying to make as dummy proof as possible.

I'm even going as simple as teklight 6x t5 for lighting... No MH for this setup!

That's fine, MH aren't needed, even for clams and SPS.

But I really do think the tank will run better with less work if you utilize a sump.

Back
Top Bottom