Questions regarding new sump setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maporsche

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've bought a new 40gal tank to use as a sump for my 120gal main. I plan on going with the same design as posted here http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046. I do however, have a couple of questions that were not covered in that post.

1) My sump is 21in tall. How much space should I leave from the top of the baffle to the top of the tank?

2) I will be buying a Mag 24 pump and a CPR150 overflow box. Is this a good combination?

3) I also will have a ASM G3 protein skimmer in the sump.

4) With everything I will be placing in the sump (PS, Pump, Fuge) how wide should each compartment be. The tank dimensions are 21in tall x 12in wide x 36in long.

5) Is flexible tubing prefered vs PVC?

6) What diameter tubing should I use?

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

maporsche

Here are the pics you asked for in your PM. Hope they turn out:

Attachments

• sumpfront_146.jpg
    sumpfront_146.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 47
  • sumpleft.jpg
    sumpleft.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 48
  • sumpcenter.jpg
    sumpcenter.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 65
Sorry I forgot about the three pic limit:

Attachments

• sumpright.jpg
    sumpright.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 33
  • sumpdrainplumbing.jpg
    sumpdrainplumbing.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 42
  • sumppump.jpg
    sumppump.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 32
The CPR 150 is rated for 1600 gph. The Mag 24 is rated for 2400gph. Unless you've got at least 800gph in head loss (?!) you're going to have to dial down the pump. I would think that a mag 18 would be plenty enough pump for you. If it isn't you could replace the 18 impeller with the 24 and get probably more like 20-21 out of it.

I don't think I'd do a 24 on there, but you could run your plumbing specs through a head loss calculator to be sure.

Phyl,

In PM stated using the MAG 18 which is rated at 12000GPH with head loss, so should be ok with out dialing it down.

the ASM G3 can only process 500 gph.. I think all that flow will be a good way to recirulate dirty water that the G3 missed back into the main tank.. :(
I'd put the big pump on a closed loop and get a smaller CPR and pump for the sump.. JMHO though.. :p

afilter said:
Phyl,

In PM stated using the MAG 18 which is rated at 12000GPH with head loss, so should be ok with out dialing it down.

I did go with the Mag 18 thanks to your responses.

greenmaji said:
the ASM G3 can only process 500 gph.. I think all that flow will be a good way to recirulate dirty water that the G3 missed back into the main tank.. :(
I'd put the big pump on a closed loop and get a smaller CPR and pump for the sump.. JMHO though.. :p

I guess I don't quite understand why there'd be a problem with the PS. I would assume that the protein skimmer would skim whatever water was around it and the rest would still be somewhat filtered by the bioballs (or LR rubble) and the carbon I plan on using or just pass it by.

I've never actually seen a PS work so maybe I am missing something. Will the PS be less effective with more water running by it?

I was actually hoping to use the CPR and the pump to increase circulation in my tank as well, which I think it should accomplish.

Again, I'm very new to this so if I'm missing something please let me know.

Do I think it would be less effective to collect all the surfase water from the main tank were the most protien is consentrated and then make it pass the skimmer faster then it can process it so the unskimmed water can return to the main and be mixed with your clean water? that is what I am trying to say.. I think its less effective to use your sump as a means of water cirulation rather then to maximize filtration.. a closed loop or power heads can increase your circulation without having to be consered about lousing filtration capability.. I just think that you will louse effecency of your skimmer.. you can have the best skimmer in the world.. I could think of multiple ways to get it to stop working as well and one would be to pass the water from the surfase by it too quickly..

I agree with greenmaji. I'm setting up a new 120 gal as well, w/ a G2 skimmer. I'm using a Pan 100px (790 gph, max@0 head) with about 5 foot of head. Should give me around 625 gph which I will likely turn down with a ball valve to assure I'm skimming at least 80%-90% of the water coming through.

For circulation, as mentioned by greenmaji, I'll use a closed loop on a seperate pump. I would say go that route. Your sump/fuge will develope better as well.

P.S. I'm building a sump as well for this 120. We'll have similar setups so I'm interested in your progress :) . I found some acrylic on ebay at an awesome price, so I'm lucky in that regard

Well, unfortunately I've already bought the CPR, MAG 18, and G3 skimmer, so I can't afford to buy another overflow box and return pump, so I'll have to run with this setup for a little while until I can afford to re-do the setup.

Can I fix this with the plumbing?

You're all set. All you have to do is buy a smaller pump (like a mag 9.5). use the 9.5 with your overflow and sump.

Then, if you don't want to have your tank drilled, build a PVC style, external, hang-on, closed loop system and power that with your mag 18. Like this one here:

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

uhhh.. how did that happen.. I recomended 500gph when you first brought this up.. and I said if you got advice from most anyone else they would strear you to too much flow.. :roll: :roll:
you could use the mag 18 for the closed loop.. but that seems like alot you wont louse any gph to head preasure in a closed loop.. it should still work though..
I would just look in the classified sections of forums for a smaller pump..

Back
Top Bottom