Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2005, 02:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Questions regarding new sump setup

I've bought a new 40gal tank to use as a sump for my 120gal main. I plan on going with the same design as posted here http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046. I do however, have a couple of questions that were not covered in that post.

1) My sump is 21in tall. How much space should I leave from the top of the baffle to the top of the tank?

2) I will be buying a Mag 24 pump and a CPR150 overflow box. Is this a good combination?

3) I also will have a ASM G3 protein skimmer in the sump.

4) With everything I will be placing in the sump (PS, Pump, Fuge) how wide should each compartment be. The tank dimensions are 21in tall x 12in wide x 36in long.

5) Is flexible tubing prefered vs PVC?

6) What diameter tubing should I use?

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

maporsche

Here are the pics you asked for in your PM. Hope they turn out:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sumpcenter.jpg (89.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg sumpleft.jpg (75.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg sumpfront_146.jpg (77.7 KB, 45 views)

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry I forgot about the three pic limit:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sumppump.jpg (69.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg sumpdrainplumbing.jpg (55.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg sumpright.jpg (89.1 KB, 30 views)

Old 11-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The CPR 150 is rated for 1600 gph. The Mag 24 is rated for 2400gph. Unless you've got at least 800gph in head loss (?!) you're going to have to dial down the pump. I would think that a mag 18 would be plenty enough pump for you. If it isn't you could replace the 18 impeller with the 24 and get probably more like 20-21 out of it.

I don't think I'd do a 24 on there, but you could run your plumbing specs through a head loss calculator to be sure.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Phyl,

In PM stated using the MAG 18 which is rated at 12000GPH with head loss, so should be ok with out dialing it down.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
the ASM G3 can only process 500 gph.. I think all that flow will be a good way to recirulate dirty water that the G3 missed back into the main tank..
I'd put the big pump on a closed loop and get a smaller CPR and pump for the sump.. JMHO though.. :P
Old 11-09-2005, 02:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by afilter
Phyl,

In PM stated using the MAG 18 which is rated at 12000GPH with head loss, so should be ok with out dialing it down.
I did go with the Mag 18 thanks to your responses.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaji
the ASM G3 can only process 500 gph.. I think all that flow will be a good way to recirulate dirty water that the G3 missed back into the main tank..
I'd put the big pump on a closed loop and get a smaller CPR and pump for the sump.. JMHO though.. :P
I guess I don't quite understand why there'd be a problem with the PS. I would assume that the protein skimmer would skim whatever water was around it and the rest would still be somewhat filtered by the bioballs (or LR rubble) and the carbon I plan on using or just pass it by.

I've never actually seen a PS work so maybe I am missing something. Will the PS be less effective with more water running by it?

I was actually hoping to use the CPR and the pump to increase circulation in my tank as well, which I think it should accomplish.

Again, I'm very new to this so if I'm missing something please let me know.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Do I think it would be less effective to collect all the surfase water from the main tank were the most protien is consentrated and then make it pass the skimmer faster then it can process it so the unskimmed water can return to the main and be mixed with your clean water? that is what I am trying to say.. I think its less effective to use your sump as a means of water cirulation rather then to maximize filtration.. a closed loop or power heads can increase your circulation without having to be consered about lousing filtration capability.. I just think that you will louse effecency of your skimmer.. you can have the best skimmer in the world.. I could think of multiple ways to get it to stop working as well and one would be to pass the water from the surfase by it too quickly..
Old 11-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with greenmaji. I'm setting up a new 120 gal as well, w/ a G2 skimmer. I'm using a Pan 100px (790 gph, max@0 head) with about 5 foot of head. Should give me around 625 gph which I will likely turn down with a ball valve to assure I'm skimming at least 80%-90% of the water coming through.

For circulation, as mentioned by greenmaji, I'll use a closed loop on a seperate pump. I would say go that route. Your sump/fuge will develope better as well.

P.S. I'm building a sump as well for this 120. We'll have similar setups so I'm interested in your progress . I found some acrylic on ebay at an awesome price, so I'm lucky in that regard

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
setup, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com