Quick lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was waiting for them to come back in stock, so I told the seller to let me know when his new shipment came in, meanwhile i saw a returned fixture for sale as a used unit, but was only in the customers possession for 6 days, so I bought that. Now the first guy sends me a message saying he's going to invoice me, and did, so I kinda felt obligated to some extent. It's ok, either way, I can use it if you don't want it.

I just ordered it. You are welcome to it for what I paid for it. It will be here in a few days. You could make that hanging kit work, or make your own. Pretty easy and cheap.
I could make it work if I cut the inner trim off of the tank, which isn't hard. I would have to go to a glass cutting shop and get the glass canopy cut to allow room for the brackets, which again shouldn't be an issue.

I was waiting for them to come back in stock, so I told the seller to let me know when his new shipment came in, meanwhile i saw a returned fixture for sale as a used unit, but was only in the customers possession for 6 days, so I bought that. Now the first guy sends me a message saying he's going to invoice me, and did, so I kinda felt obligated to some extent. It's ok, either way, I can use it if you don't want it.
I need your hook ups! I would love it as long as you don't have any need for it. I will have to talk to my other half but I am sure he would say yes. When he gets home, I will talk with him and get back to you later on sometime tonight.

Ok. I would cut about 2"-3" or so from the inside of the black trim. That should allow you to fasten it to the glass. A dremel would cut right through that with ease. As far as a glass lid, I would skip it entirely. Better gas exchange without it.

Kessil light with the gooseneck clamp . Check out the reviews, watch a couple YouTube videos, and then decide. I have a Kessil.....best purchase I ever made.

Ok. I would cut about 2"-3" or so from the inside of the black trim. That should allow you to fasten it to the glass. A dremel would cut right through that with ease. As far as a glass lid, I would skip it entirely. Better gas exchange without it.
My boyfriend is invert crazed so we plan on getting turbo snails. I would feel better with the snails if I had a canopy. I have had a few of my freshwater snails jump ship from holes in the back of my canopy :(.

Kessil light with the gooseneck clamp . Check out the reviews, watch a couple YouTube videos, and then decide. I have a Kessil.....best purchase I ever made.

Could I use one of the 360W's light the entire tank, 36" long, and grow high light coral? According to one of the reviews one of these is considered only low light. :(

Could I use one of the 360W's light the entire tank, 36" long, and grow high light coral? According to one of the reviews one of these is considered only low light. :(
They have some graphs on this page-
Kessil LED Lights
But it's hard to figure out what kind of intensity you are getting at 24" away or more. I mean, is this illustration saying that at 24" off of the bottom, it's lighting 60" from the center?
img_08.gif

if so, how much light is it putting that far away? How about at 40"?

Boyfriend says he doesn't want to cut the plastic trim on the tank and hes getting mad at me because I keep saying it wont be hard lol. So no clip on light or suspension lighting kit. So I guess we are going to buy two lights and use rails. Was trying to save us money but this is more his project rather than mine so I will let him do what he wants. >< Don't want to be sleeping on the sofa for the next week lol.

Mr_X, I would love to come pick up the light sometime this week if you are around. We will pay cash for it. Let me know what day/time works best for you.

I know you said you didn't want to hang them from a ceiling, but what about a wall (assuming the tank will be positioned along a wall). This setup using plant hangars originally supported a heavier and longer metal halide fixture shown in the first picture, and when I moved to LEDs, I just reused it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398903267.871067.jpg

I don't have a good shot of the setup with the LEDs, but this is the best one I have at the moment. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398903378.651035.jpg

I know you said you didn't want to hang them from a ceiling, but what about a wall (assuming the tank will be positioned along a wall). This setup using plant hangars originally supported a heavier and longer metal halide fixture shown in the first picture, and when I moved to LEDs, I just reused it. View attachment 235582

I don't have a good shot of the setup with the LEDs, but this is the best one I have at the moment. View attachment 235583

There is a window there. :( its his parents house and they don't like holes being put in the walls unless absolutely necessary. Don't ask me why lol. My boyfriend decided to do two LED fixtures and use rails to keep them up. I think he kind of has his mind set lol.

They have some graphs on this page-
Kessil LED Lights
But it's hard to figure out what kind of intensity you are getting at 24" away or more. I mean, is this illustration saying that at 24" off of the bottom, it's lighting 60" from the center?
img_08.gif

if so, how much light is it putting that far away? How about at 40"?
The coverage could be better I'll admit and in some cases multiple lights will be needed, plus they are expensive. Having said that, the Kessil does have great water penetration. They ain't for everyone, but I really like mine.

Back
Top Bottom