Quick lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on the depth of the tank and what you are wanting to keep in the tank. Lower light LPS corals would be ok, as well as some softies, would be ok under a quad bulb T5HO.
In terms of the bulbs, when using high quality bulbs it would come down to personal preference. When I ran my quad bulb, I used an aquablue special, two blue plus, and a fiji pink to get the color I wanted.

Tank is 19 inches deep. Seems as if most of the corals my partner and I like are all moderate - high light. What type of t5 fixture would I need to achieve that?

I'd want at 6 bulbs for a tank that deep. I'm sure high light corals could do ok near the top but doubtful as you go down. Jw what corals are you looking into?

I am not sure of the specific names, my husband and I started a list on his laptop but I don't have it on hand. When he gets home, I will post a few. All I remember is as we were looking though the options, a lot of them were listed as moderate to high light. Let me see if I can find a few on the net.

Sometimes websites can be very off with coral requirements. Posting the names would be great as many of us have direct experience with a wide range of species.

Any good beginner corals you can suggest? I have been keeping freshwater tanks for a long time but this will be my first stab at salt water. I knew the lighting requirements were higher because it doesn't penetrate as easily in salt as it does in fresh, but didn't realize it would be that much higher though. I think we are leaning more toward mostly softies and a few hard corals. I absolutely love the Mushroom Corals and Torch Coral. My husband wants some variation of anemones because we plan on getting two clown fish

If you want a nem you will definitely want a 6 bulb fixture. They're high light and require a mature tank (8-12 months old). A 4 bulb would be fine for the shrooms and torch. I love zoanthids as they come in every color variety out there. They're also easy to care for. Um Duncan's are cool, hammers, acans are all nice

Are LED's a better option? I wanted them originally but all of my freshwater tanks have t5's so it is what I am most use to. A 6 lamp t5 runs about $500 and for me to get two of the taotronic LED's it would be about the same anyway. I just keep reading that I am going to need a chiller for the taotronics and I really didn't want to bother with that.

We plan on growing this overtime, so I need to find some good "after cycle" type corals then I can slowly add others as the tank gets more established.

I like zoanthids, I saw them at my LFS.

You won't need a chiller for the Taos, that's crazy. Leds put off much less heat than t5s. I'd definitely get two Taos. You could keep any type of corals/nems/clams under that an it will save you a ton of $$$.

We were initially worried with doing suspended LED's because there is a window (with blackout blinds lol) right behind where the tank is going. And we really wanted to avoid drilling into the ceiling. But last night I was looking and found these rails in the link below and thought they would work great. I was also looking for some type of pole like suspension that we could use but the only thing I can find is systems designed for frameless tanks. :(

Amazon.com: Universal rail and mounting bracket frame for aquarium fish tank LED light Hood: Pet Supplies

Hmm I'm no good at hanging as my kessil came with a gooseneck clamp. Maybe someone else can chime in on how to hang them.

Many people use bent conduit attached to the stand to hang the Tao style lights
Hum, thats a good idea but the only problem is that it isnt going on a stand. Its going on a custom table my husband and I built to put both our tanks on. :( It is right up against a wall. Seems like these rails are really our only option, unless we custom build something.

I really like the LED lights, so that is for sure what we are going to buy. Just need to figure out the best way for us to hang them. :D I am so excited! I have wanted a coral tank for a long time.

That's expensive. Where are you in bucks? I have a guy willing to sell me that same fixture for roughly 100.00 shipped.
BTW, you might want something like this-
Amazon.com : 40"- 70" Aquarium Fish Tank Light frame Hanger with mounting bracket stainless : Pet Supplies

Those rails you are looking at may not work.

Ha! I am in Feasterville. My grandmom lives in fairless hills, right across from the tech school!
Anyway, $100 for the same exact fixture? Why is that so **** expensive, wow I feel so dumb when it comes to LED's. As far as the suspension kit, I looked at those but they only seem to fit rimless tanks. The trim on my tank is 1 1/4 inch width. Most of those only open up to little less than an inch. I am still looking around, hoping to find something.

I figured I could do one and I was expecting to have it hung higher but I am having trouble finding a type of suspension that would allow me to do that.

I just ordered it. You are welcome to it for what I paid for it. It will be here in a few days. You could make that hanging kit work, or make your own. Pretty easy and cheap.

BTW, I live right down the street from the tech school. Left out of the tech school, pass the apartments, around the bend, then make a right on Parkway and your there ;)

Back
Top Bottom