Quick question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrennanX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So ive been reading nonstop through various books, and am juggling the ideas of all the types of filtration.

It seems that the most popular is the Berlin system right? Alot of sand and liverock to biologically filter - and then reinforced with a protein skimmer? Or did i totally miss the mark in my reading?

You can have too much lr/ls as well though. The general rule of 1-1.5 lbs per gal and a sand bed of 3"-5" is recommended.

Yes, LR and a good skimmer. Many people use a sump, which helps with lots of things, including allowing you to use a larger skimmer. because of this, most people prefer predrilled tanks.

A true DSB is generally no longer recommended, so don't go over 4-5" unless you know the risks.

just curious what are the problems with having a dsb

hackteck said:
just curious what are the problems with having a dsb

These two articles delve into that subject :)

wetwebmedia.com
advancedaquarist.com

Basically a DSB beyond 5” runs the risk of becoming toxic more than one at 3”-5”. It can still be done but is considerably more work and has to be watched carefully.

I think the jury is still out on the DSB debate. There are alot of folks out there that have never had problems with them, including me.

Back
Top Bottom