Quick Question/Concern That Hit Me Regarding the Aqueon HOB Design...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's something I'd probably have to shoot an email off to Aqueon about in order to get a technically correct answer, but I suddenly got to thinking about these filters' underwater pump designs...

Because the pumps of the Aqueon QuietFlow power HOBs are submerged beneath the water -- and therefore don't need any priming upon startup unlike other HOBs like the AquaClears -- is there any chance that the heat coming off the motor can "warm up" the water temperature to dangerous levels given the fact I am keeping goldfish which require colder temperatures? Is this even a concern?

I'd be surprised if it got anywhere near that hot. Any heat it did generate should shed off pretty quick in the tank. Either way, it should be easy enough to figure out. First off, after it's been running for a while, put your hand on the pump and see if it gets warm. Second, just stick a thermometer in the tank and see where it lands. Besides, any filter is going to generate heat and dissipate it into the tank water. Some pumps just aren't actually in the tank itself.
How big is your tank? The bigger the tank, the faster it'll get rid of the excess heat.
BTW, what temperature should goldfish be kept at?

Something else I just thought of. It doesn't say on the Aqueon site, but if you have the box or the directions you should take a look at them and see if it says how many watts the motor is. It might only be like 10 or 20 watts. If you're running a big tank (say 30 or 40 gallons), I doubt that's even going to make a dent in it. I noticed your signature says that you have a bubble bar. That should push some of the heat out as well.

Again, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd be surprised if it got anywhere near that hot. Any heat it did generate should shed off pretty quick in the tank. Either way, it should be easy enough to figure out. First off, after it's been running for a while, put your hand on the pump and see if it gets warm. Second, just stick a thermometer in the tank and see where it lands. Besides, any filter is going to generate heat and dissipate it into the tank water. Some pumps just aren't actually in the tank itself.
How big is your tank? The bigger the tank, the faster it'll get rid of the excess heat.
BTW, what temperature should goldfish be kept at?

Thanks for the prompt reply, Joey. (y)

When you say "any filter is going to generate heat and dissipate it into the tank water," is this true for the majority of the HOBs in which their pumps and motors are OUTSIDE of the tank, as most are (as far as I know, the Aqueons are the only HOBs that boast this "in-water" pump system)? Do you mean the heat from the motors actually transfer up into the water being returned to the tank in most HOB systems?

As you concluded from my signature, I am running a 60 gallon tank, with two 18" bubble bars side by side along the back glass, and as for goldfish temps, I think they can survive in pretty much anything from the low to mid 60s all the way up to 78 degrees...but I just wanted to make sure...

Something else I just thought of. It doesn't say on the Aqueon site, but if you have the box or the directions you should take a look at them and see if it says how many watts the motor is. It might only be like 10 or 20 watts. If you're running a big tank (say 30 or 40 gallons), I doubt that's even going to make a dent in it. I noticed your signature says that you have a bubble bar. That should push some of the heat out as well.

Again, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks; I'll check out the instructions that came with the filter (I still have the box and packaging all these years later)...or, I can fire off an email to Aqueon and get back to you with their response...

I'm running a 60 gallon plus two 18" bubble bars...

Thanks for the prompt reply, Joey. (y)

When you say "any filter is going to generate heat and dissipate it into the tank water," is this true for the majority of the HOBs in which their pumps and motors are OUTSIDE of the tank, as most are (as far as I know, the Aqueons are the only HOBs that boast this "in-water" pump system)? Do you mean the heat from the motors actually transfer up into the water being returned to the tank in most HOB systems?

As you concluded from my signature, I am running a 60 gallon tank, with two 18" bubble bars side by side along the back glass, and as for goldfish temps, I think they can survive in pretty much anything from the low to mid 60s all the way up to 78 degrees...but I just wanted to make sure...
If goldfish can survive up to 78 degrees, I wouldn't even be thinking about this question. Think about it, a 60 gallon tank takes like 200w to reliably keep at 78 degrees. You've got probably 10 or 20 watts worth of motor with some of the heat being dissipated into the tank, right near the water surface.

I should back up a bit with something I said before. I only assume on other HOB filters that the motor is being cooled by tank water. They may very well be out of the sump and be getting cooled by the air. Part of the reason for the Aqueon motor being in the tank is also to suppress the noise.

BTW, if you're using the 55/75 filter, I found that if you wedge a sponge filter right in between where the water comes in and those baffles (there's a cover that comes off) then the water won't splash around inside and the filter becomes almost completely silent. If the water level in the tank is up high enough it's hard to tell if it's even running. But you have to remember to pull it off and clean it once every other week of so. I used a pretty porous filter that I think is meant for some other filter and cut it down to size. It's not actually a sponge, it almost looks like the primary filter for a canister.

If goldfish can survive up to 78 degrees, I wouldn't even be thinking about this question. Think about it, a 60 gallon tank takes like 200w to reliably keep at 78 degrees. You've got probably 10 or 20 watts worth of motor with some of the heat being dissipated into the tank, right near the water surface.

I have to do more research on this -- I BELIEVE they can survive in up to 78 degrees or so, though it probably wouldn't be comfortable for them...

I should back up a bit with something I said before. I only assume on other HOB filters that the motor is being cooled by tank water. They may very well be out of the sump and be getting cooled by the air. Part of the reason for the Aqueon motor being in the tank is also to suppress the noise.

BTW, if you're using the 55/75 filter, I found that if you wedge a sponge filter right in between where the water comes in and those baffles (there's a cover that comes off) then the water won't splash around inside and the filter becomes almost completely silent. If the water level in the tank is up high enough it's hard to tell if it's even running. But you have to remember to pull it off and clean it once every other week of so. I used a pretty porous filter that I think is meant for some other filter and cut it down to size. It's not actually a sponge, it almost looks like the primary filter for a canister.

I am using the model that came out BEFORE the 55/75, which was just the QuietFlow 55 -- and I am aware of the methods to use in which to silence this filter (which isn't loud really at any rate), mainly the one you cite here, which is to raise the water level in the tank so high, you can't even tell the pump/motor is running. The thing is with this method, there isn't any water agitation out of this filter, at all -- if you fill the tank so high so that you can actually see the blue bio grid bar beneath the surface of the water from looking at the tank head-on, it looks like there is NO water return flow, at all; I don't know if these filters were meant to run this way, so I always leave my Aqueon's flow so that there's an aggressive, fast-moving rift/ripple effect across the surface from the return flow...which is pretty strong on these filters when the water level drops...

Back
Top Bottom