quick question on filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 fully planted tanks. Both are using Aquaclear minis as filters. Should I be using only the white foam pads or should I also have in the Ammo bags or carbon bags. They are both established tanks!

no need for carbon or ammo-lock in an establish, planted tank.

remember carbon really only removes odors, and medications, and is only active for about a week.
it's also possible that carbon will remove certain trace nutrients your plants need.

what I do in all my aquaClear's, planted tank or not, is run 2 sponges, and no bags of anything.

The ammo bags should only ever be used if you've gotten into a tough situation, and for some reason ammonia has shot up in your tank, as after using certain bacterial medications, or if you've only just discovered that a tank needs to be cycled!! Your biological filter should be able to deal with ammonia otherwise.

When I was cycling my first tank, I used the ammo-reducing media. It does help the fish you're using to cycle that tank, but I'd always recommend water changes instead now.

Back
Top Bottom