quick question on filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SGNL_5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im going to be setting up a long 20 gal tank and was wondering what would be a better filter to get. i've ben told that the penguin bio filters work pretty good, but no and just wondering which one to get. I was thinking of either the 170 which is 170 gph or the 330 which is 330 gph. or any other suggestions you might have,
-Thanks

The 170 will give you enough filtration for that tank. You want 6x the tank size (120 pgh) for your tank or higher. What do you plan on stocking in the tank?

thanks for the quick response, im not too sure what i had in mind i was kinda thinking, 2 otto's, 2 black mollies, 3 platy's, 7 black neon tetra.
i was going to just get the 170 then i noticed the price difference being only a few $. would the 330 be bad for the tank, or just not necessary?
thanks

Not bad, but make sure those fish like current, if you decide to go with the 330. For the fish you have listed, the 170 will be fine.

I run 170s on my 20 gal tanks. they are more than adequate. I have another on a 50 gal that also has a UGF. No problem. I run 2 330s on my 125. They produce alot of current, way much for a 20.

The built in filter on my Eclipse hood is simular to the 170. Does fine in my 20 long. Had it on a 37gal before but it couldnt keep up with that size tank.

I think the bio-wheels are great.

I bought a 170 this past weekend and installed it on my 29, it made a world of difference over the old (unknown brand) filter I had at the time. The water is now very clear.

Back
Top Bottom