QUICK response needed!! refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i want to buy a refractometer and i dont know what to look for. i was planning on buying this on...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-ATC-Salinity...9QQihZ009QQcategoryZ26237QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
but i dont know if it is any good. i was also looking at this one..
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Salinity-Ref...6QQihZ014QQcategoryZ20755QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
the only difference is the easy to adjust knob. what do u think? keep in mind that i am in canada and shipping kills me on other sites. i usually get hit with border fees.

Personally, the "easy to calibrate knob" is a bad thing in my book. I'd rather have something that's hard to adjust so I accidentally can't mess with it. I've had my refractometer over 4 months now and it hasn't drifted a bit and hasn't needed calibration. Soooo... I wouldn't let "ease of calibration" be a driving factor.

I'm suspect of a lot of generic no-brand name stuff on eBay, so I'm probably not a good person to judge quality. But if I HAD to buy one of the two, I'd buy the first one you listed.

ok sounds good. i asked anohter member on anohter site and they happend to own the exact same one so i went with it. i will update once i get it on how well it works.

I got the RHS - 10ATC myself. I like the fact the easy calibration screw is hard to adjust.

Ditto on the first one being my choice if I had one.

ya i had the same thought about the calibration screw. it would be wayyy to easy to bump. how do u like the ATC unit dscount? i have heard they are pretty decent from a few poeple now.

I love it. Had to get distilled water to calibrate. Come to find out I didn't have any change to make. Which is good to be cautious.

Nice being able to quickly check the main tank salinity for a comparison to fresh SW I'm mixing as well LFS salinity of new fish. That way I can change the QT a little if I need to adjust my new fish friends for the main tank.

Kinda eliminates the "I'm pretty sure this is right" of those plastic gizmo's.

I bought one from the seller, greatdel, that looks exactly like the first one.

I tested it with distilled water when I first got it and it was already adjusted perfectly.
I've been using it for about 6 months and it's never needed a readjustment yet.
I could never advise anyone to use a swingarm hydrometer after seeing how far off the mark the first 3 were that I tried.

Good luck with yours. I'm sure you'll be loving it as much as I do. (y)

Back
Top Bottom