Quiet air pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a sponge filter and need a quiet air pump to run it. I have a Fusian Quiet Flow I am using on a hospital tank right now but it is kinda noisy. Not as noisy as I remember from childhood but still a distraction. It sounds like insects humming in the distance. Just enough to annoy me. The sponge filter is going into a 5 gallon tank.

I agree that the Whisper is one of the quietest (as long as you dont lean it against your cabinet, wall or anything else it can vibrate against). I ran one for three years and never heard it unless it accidently got pushed against something solid.

I agree that the Whisper is one of the quietest (as long as you dont lean it against your cabinet, wall or anything else it can vibrate against). I ran one for three years and never heard it unless it accidently got pushed against something solid.
Yep, occasionally have to re position, but not very often.

Thanks. I will give the Whisper one a try. I managed to get the Fusian one quieter with some tips I read on here. I also connected it to a sponge filter and that reduced the noise some. Guess the air stone was creating some noise.

Very good, I actually just hooked up a new one and I poked a couple holes in the airline to quite it down, what tips did you pick up here?

The tip that worked the best for me was making sure it was on a solid surface. I also removed some of the filter pad on the air intake. I tried hanging it in the air and that worked some but it was in the way and kept pulling the air line out of the water. I am debating on putting the sponge filter in my 5 gallon and taking off the HOB. Not sure what is going in the 5 gallon yet. Maybe shrimp. I am new to sponge filters and am a little unsure of them.

The tip that worked the best for me was making sure it was on a solid surface. I also removed some of the filter pad on the air intake. I tried hanging it in the air and that worked some but it was in the way and kept pulling the air line out of the water. I am debating on putting the sponge filter in my 5 gallon and taking off the HOB. Not sure what is going in the 5 gallon yet. Maybe shrimp. I am new to sponge filters and am a little unsure of them.
I did the hanging thing to for a while, a sponge should be fine in the 5, my Lfs using strictly sponges in their 40g displays, granted they run 3 huge ones in each.. They swear by them!

I've got a Tetra APS150, I find it's quiet so long as none of the wires are touching the cabinet etc. The air stone is what seems to make the most noise.

Back
Top Bottom