Quiet air pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone recommend a quiet air pump? I've tried all the tricks I can find/think of and its still really loud. Or do you have a recommendation to quiet one? I may have tried it but I'm interested to hear

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you can get a 3, 4, or 5 way air valve, then you could divert some of the air to one of the outlets not going into the tank.
Other things you can try is putting the air pump in a cabinet and/or placing it on a soft surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a sponge rubber banded to mine so it can't vibrate on anything hard and can't shake itself off. Perfectly silent.

29g Community

10g Betta

Very simple: Use a gang valve that has at least 1 more valve than you need for your tank. Start by closing all the valves. Open the valves you are using so that the amount of air is higher than you need then slowly open the blank valve ( one that has nothing attached to it) until the air pressure reduces to the amount you want for your air operated items. There may be some hissing coming from the open valve from the extra air. If the hissing is too loud, you can put a long piece of airline tubing on it to redirect where the sound will come from or add an airstone to the end of that hissing tubing and it should baffle the hissing sound.
Keep in mind that all vibrating pumps will make some noise just from the vibrations. When properly working, there should only be a humming sound. Clanking or loud noises are usually back pressure related. (y)

I have a sponge rubber banded to mine so it can't vibrate on anything hard and can't shake itself off. Perfectly silent.

29g Community

10g Betta

Just make sure you have some way for the pump to suck in the air. Most pumps get their air from the bottom of the pump so if you clog up the bottom, it will eventually create excess heat inside the housing and cause the diphram inside to break prematurely. This will also cause the pumps to not last as long either.

Hope this helps. (y)

if you notice, some air pumps will have a little tab or hole so you can suspend the pump.
this is how I have mine for my protein skimmer set up. It is hanging from a silicone "tie wrap" thing that I found at the 99 cent store.

92584-albums13974-picture68738.jpg

hanging it that way eliminates all secondary vibration noise. (y)
that's a Coralife Luft pump. Expensive but it certainly puts out the air at good pressure.

excuse the mess, I had an incident with my skimmer :oops:

Thanks all. Suspending to pump really works. So far so good.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tetra Whisper pumps actually whisper - the quietest I have found without modifications.

The best quiet air pump is from fluval

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom