Quiet filter for my 55g and 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manoosie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking to have a second 10 gallon tank for holding purposes. i would like to have a filter that can work on my 55g when the 10 is not being used. What is a quiet, affordable filter that would work?

You looking for something that could run the 55 by itself, or in conjunction with the normal filter in that tank?

conjunction, i already have a cascade 1000 running...

Also, if i take some gravel and water from the 55 then it should already be cycled right?

You may want to consider something simple like a powerhead with a sponge over the inlet. A bit quieter than the air driven sponge, but you won't have to worry about it fitting over the edge of the 55, or overpowering the 10 gallon.

How does a powerhead work? Doesnt it require an underground filter of some sort? I just want some kind of filter that i can take from the 55 and put on the 10. So, all that is on the ten is a light and the filter. I dont see where a powerhead's bacteria grows...

No, powerheads dont require a ugf, its the other way around. powerheads can run by themselves to provide a current a little filtration with a sponge or some other type of filter media attached to it. as far as switching the filters you can look at some of the smaller hob filters that might fit on the 10 gal. i think aquaclear makes one that would be small enough.

Back
Top Bottom