Quiet filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to have more tanks in my bedroom, but I'm worried about the loudness of the filters. I have a 20 gal in there with an aqueon quietflow which is pretty decent, but does anyone know of other good quiet filters? The tank(s) would be a maximum size of 30 gallons (most likely smaller)

I want to have more tanks in my bedroom, but I'm worried about the loudness of the filters. I have a 20 gal in there with an aqueon quietflow which is pretty decent, but does anyone know of other good quiet filters? The tank(s) would be a maximum size of 30 gallons (most likely smaller)
For HOB's you could go with Aquaclears. Also Fluvals C series, I have heard great reports on these from fellow members and after 'breaking' in they are very quiet. Canisters are probably the best option, for quietness. Just a gentle hum, which you will either struggle to hear or get used to, very quickly. You won't go wrong with either as long as you get a decent brand, not the knock-offs, off ebay, usually from china....

If in tank space isn't an issue try the fluval u series underwater ones. I have the u4 which is large but moves water awesome and u can have it output like a spray bar and also aerate the water. Good purchase. Kinda big tho

I have 3 Penguin 200s and a Penguin 100 in various tanks in my house. All of them are nearly silent (except for water splash). WRT the Penguin 200, I did have to put a thin film of Vaseline on the impeller magnet twice, 6 months between applications, but it has been completely silent since the last application, almost a year ago.

I have 3 Penguin 200s and a Penguin 100 in various tanks in my house. All of them are nearly silent (except for water splash). WRT the Penguin 200, I did have to put a thin film of Vaseline on the impeller magnet twice, 6 months between applications, but it has been completely silent since the last application, almost a year ago.

Yeah I've had quite a few problems with those penguin filters lol and yeah I can try those underwater ones maybe.

Mine have been all operating flawlessly for over a year. Once the vaseline kicked in, they've been running like champs.

Mine have been all operating flawlessly for over a year. Once the vaseline kicked in, they've been running like champs.

Gotcha, never tried vaseline on them though. We'll see. Any other ideas? Also, my room serves as a guest bedroom when necessary, so i'd like to keep it as quiet as possible for guests.

Well the sunsun canister filter is great I think they have smaller versions for tht size of the tank I have a hw303b 100 gal one on my 55 and it barley humms I can't hear it once I close the cabinet on my stand

Well the sunsun canister filter is great I think they have smaller versions for tht size of the tank I have a hw303b 100 gal one on my 55 and it barley humms I can't hear it once I close the cabinet on my stand

Gotcha. I'll check that out. Any other hob filters? And what do you guys think about undergravel ones?

I have my tank right next to my bed, see my photo album. I have an Aquaclear 30 on my 20 high. Just slap it on your exiting tank to get the nice build up of the good stuff. and the thing is silent. If you get a splashing sound raise the water level, humming? Check the lid of the filter and the level bar. Also make sure the tank is level. That helps too.

I have my tank right next to my bed, see my photo album. I have an Aquaclear 30 on my 20 high. Just slap it on your exiting tank to get the nice build up of the good stuff. and the thing is silent. If you get a splashing sound raise the water level, humming? Check the lid of the filter and the level bar. Also make sure the tank is level. That helps too.

Ok great thanks! So i'm kind of debating between the aquaclears and fluvals. I have both, on bigger tanks so i'm not sure. I think i might be getting a few 10 gals to put in my closet on shelves (i keep my closet open a lot) so i guess i could shut the closet door if they get annoying, but are there any special nano filters i could use that are quiet?

Back
Top Bottom