Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to manmythlegend
There's really no way to change that part of a HOB's noisiness. They're gonna make the watery sound. Unless you put the return from a canister well under the water level you're going to have the same splashing sound on it too. I personally consider it "white noise" and just ignore it. If it's in your bedroom it might cause you to have to pee more often during the night (it seems I get up more at night if I sleep where I can hear the water) but eventually you won't be able to sleep WITHOUT the sound.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieroach

Can you, or anyone else, elaborate on what that entails? Obviously I'll have to do some research but at this point I'm kinda clueless.

Is the fluval prefilter like "prime" or "nutrafin cycle?"

And when you say "bio media" do you mean filter pads, gravel, etc, that already has bacteria?

I should've learned about cycling by now but I've been lazy the past 3-4 years so I've read very little on the topic. Plus, I've always done fish-in cycles with good results, except with community lol

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!!

THANKS YALL!!
Pre filter would be like the sponges and bio media would be where bacteria can grow like biomax or bio balls, etc. But bacteria will grow in any filter media you put in there. Just make sure you give it time to get seeded before you remove the old filter.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was having that issue with my Aquaclear 110, and was able to add a few more gallons to bring the water level up much closer to the bottom of the return spout. It's whisper quiet now. HUGE difference.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I was a big supporter of AC HOB filters for years. Now that I've tried a Fluval 406 on my 75g I can say without a doubt, the Fluval is soooo much quieter. You can hear it when you are within a foot or two of the filter but from 4'+ you can't hear anything.

I had my AC50 running pretty quiet by extending the return from the filter down below the water line. I used a piece of filter floss for a while and then attached a piece of plastic to extend the return/outflow below the water line.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot

Pre filter would be like the sponges and bio media would be where bacteria can grow like biomax or bio balls, etc. But bacteria will grow in any filter media you put in there. Just make sure you give it time to get seeded before you remove the old filter.
ok, still a little lost LOL

do the sponges / biomax / bio balls come with the fx5?

if not, will my filter pads from the HOB's suffice as bio media? or the bio wheels perhaps?

my plan so far:
- get the fx5
- then .......... ?

if anyone is bored & wants to give me a step-by-step of how to set one up i'd be down to read it haha

or if anyone knows of any threads that have some sort of directions, please forward me a linky

again, thanks for all the help homies!!
Let's make A.A. the 'free love' fish forum!!
ronnieroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

AWESOME!! thanks meegosh!!

Let's make A.A. the 'free love' fish forum!!
ronnieroach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filters, sleep

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com