Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

yes, exactly - the FX5 would act as the pump for the chiller.

Controllers are cool things - especially when you hook them up to the net. They are definitely "nice to haves" and not "have to haves" and even more so on a FW setup.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very cool idea. But you never really know what kinda flow the filter will have. Doesn't the amount of filter media and how clean/dirty it is change the gph?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yes, absolutely it will. But isn't the FX5 rated at 1000gph? If you keep it clean with regular maintenance, I see no reason it couldn't maintain the minimum 800 you need.

The other consideration though is head height - the lower the pump, the less GPH it will move.

If you want to run a separate pump, eheim pumps are the quietest pumps out there that are commonly available. I am just not sure how you are going to hook it up without a sump, and without drilling the tank. It would be quite an eye soar in your display tank.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Maybe consider running the fx5 and another smaller canister in parallel to insure the proper GPH through the chiller? That would be easier and quieter than trying to hook up another pump.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I definitely do not want a pump inside the tank. Now I just looked it up, and the chiller is rated from 480 to 1920 gph. So what if I got an external that pumps let's say 1200gph to compensate?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #16
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That would also work. How are you going to plumb the external?

In my experience, external pumps, especially that will move that much water, are loud, which will offset the benefit of your new premium chiller.

If it is rated from 480, I would at least start with just the FX5 inline which ought to be just fine to meet the min flow rate, and see if it is enough flow to keep your temp where you want it. Why add more electricity cost, overall heat to the system, and noise if you don't need it?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

You know what screw it, you're right. I'll just hook it up to the fx5 output and call it a day. Maybe easier is better.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

As I mentioned in your other thread about using an Eheim pump as a lift pump, I run it outside of the sump (in fact on the other side of the wall) and the only thing in the sump is an intake hose. You could go that route too if you don't want to use your canister filter to run it. Mine is quiet and even on the opposite side of the wall is powerful enough to pump the water up, through a recirculating skimmer (about 2' higher than the sump), and back no prob or noise.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #19
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Agree on Eheim noise levels - I run an eheim return in my reef and it is nice and quiet. Supposed to be 1 of the more quiet pumps out there. Just like with the JBJ chiller though, it comes at a price. The eheims are definitely more expensive than mag pumps or other brands.

I just think that in this case, especially if the OP plans on adding an FX5, plumbing it inline will be more than enough flow to chill the tank a few degrees. Before spending another hundo on an eheim, I would try with the FX5 first.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looking at at the eheim 1262. 900gph but $170. Fx5 $250 and its a filter rated at 960gph. Gonna go with the filter and see what happens. Is there any way to actually measure the gph output?

Tags
chi, chiller

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com