Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pretty much title says it all. I'm getting a 150 gallon tank for a community of goldies and loaches. Right now got a lil 20 gallon and on average the temp sits around 78-80. The new tank will be moderately planted which means lights that will put out good amount of heat plus other equipment to run the tank. And in the summer it gets pretty toasty. The aquarium will be in the living area where I spend most of my time when I'm home, so I need a quiet chiller.
What are your guys suggestions?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have read and heard really good things about the JBJ Artica Chillers in terms of noise.

There is a video on Bulk Reef Supply showing how quietly they operate.

JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 HP - Bulk Reef Supply

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very nice, premium product but also a premium price. What would the second best option be. The 1/10hp isn't rated for my tank and the next runner up is $700!

There's a guy on eBay that's selling his 1/4hp jbj for $320 but it was used in a salt water setup. How bad do you guys think it corroded, would you buy it and use it in fresh water?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh and another thing. I know you need to hook up an appropriate flow pump to it, but is the pump on 24/7/365 or is there something else that controls it?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

you could probably control it based on temperature if you have an RKL or other controller.

I am not sure on other brands - I do know that the common complaint regarding chillers is they tend to be noisy. You often get what you pay for in this hobby... I know that is of little consolation when looking at a $700 purchase to lower your water temp 3 degrees

Have you considered maybe just trying to run some fans to blow cross the surface of the water, or maybe go LED for lighting to reduce heat? You might be surprised, you may not have a need at all for a chiller.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes I do want led lighting. Don't forget its December and the water temp is at 78-80. In the summer god knows what'll it be. I'm almost never home (truck driver) and my wife also works full time and when she's not home we do not run the a/c. So who knows what the water temp will get to. And then when we are home it'll somewhat go down, then back up n down and etc. Fish will be floating upside down in a week, so I want constant temp to keep em happy, even if it means spending $700. But I'm about to click the buyitnow button on that used chiller I found on eBay. Just need another drink :p

And what is a controller, that's a new term for me. What's it controlling?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You can use an aquarium controller to control all kinds of things based on all kinds of inputs... temperature, pH, time, ORP, etc, etc.

Here are some examples of controllers: Digital Aquatics Reef Keepers - Bulk Reef Supply

If your indoor temp swings that much, then yes you will need heaters and a chiller. Probably cheaper in the long run than running the AC full time
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep. Right now I'm a proud owner of a jbj 1/4hp chiller. Yaaay

Now I think I'll just run the pump 24/7, it'll also give me more flow in the tank. So what's a good reliable pump that'll do that. It has to push at least 800gph I believe is minimum flow for the chiller
Old 12-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

hmmm. Good question. Do you plan to try and run a sump with the new tank? That would be your best bet. A pump that pushes that much is going to be quite large.

The other option would be to get a large canister filter - something like the FX5 could probably be plumbed inline with the chiller.

Fluval FX5 External Canister Filter at PETCO
Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

No sump, don't wanna drill into the tank. The fx5 is already on my shopping list for the tank.
So what you're saying is, instead of running the fx5 output directly into the tank is to run it through the chiller and then into the tank?

The controller definitely makes your life easier, but I don't see much use for it in a fresh water tank.

Tags
chi, chiller

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com