R/O Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a GE R/O for my tank yesterday. It comes with a faucet and storage tank. I installed it, then sanitized it and the water ran through just fine, with good pressure. I drained It then put in the filters. When I turned the water on I heard it pass through the system, but nothing came out of the faucet. I re-read the instructions and realized I put the membrane filter in the wrong way. So I took it out and fliped it around. Now all I get is a slow drip when the faucet is open and I hear a hissing sound comming from the top of the filters. Is this normal? Is the drip just how fast it flows, I just need to let the tank fill? Or is the Membrane destroyed? I cant find answers anywhere.

I think the unit should have a GPH (gallons per hour) or GPD (gallons per day) or similar rating. I'm not sure whats wrong, but if it's only dripping, I'd say it's not functioning properly unless it's really really slow.

I think It said 10 gal/day. Any idea what I could do to fix it if its not just the flow?

If it really is 10 gal/day (not hour) then I wouldn't expect much more than drips out of it. 10 gallons per day is less than 1/2 gallon per hour.

ya its got to be the flow. guess I will close the faucet and see if the storage tank fills up. so the hissing sound is normal?

After observing the system I reolized the tank was filling, and the water is at normal rate. For me to get a good flow I need to let the tank fill and pump from the 3 or so gallons in the tank. But after waiting still nothing came out of the faucet. I picked up the tank, it was much heaver and when I shook it I could hear the water inside. Had to be 3/4 of the way full if not all the way. So my problem is no pressure in the tank, I think.

The RO will never flow when the tank is empty. It produces pure water a drop at a time. That is why there is a storage tank in the system. The tank stores the water for you to use it conveniently.

So why when I turn the water line off after waiting for the tank to fill, I shake the tank and hear water to make sure, then turn on the faucet nothing comes out? Am I doing something wrong? I think the tank has no pressure, there's water in there but it's disconnected. Not sure how to get the water out to test air pressure.

Back
Top Bottom