Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

R/O storage tank question

The storage tank I have for my R/O has no pressure. The system is an older model, and the box was pretty beat up probly dropped at some point. So I dont want to mess with this tank.

I need to buy a new one and my question is, does it matter what size tank I get?

There are alot to choose from out there and I just want to make sure they are universal. But I would like to increase the size a bit if I could.
Any one know about this?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I find that my own tank at 3 gallons capacity is a handy size. It can fit on one of the shelves under my kitchen counter so I placed it in that corner where you can never get at things anyway. It will freely discharge into a container for about 2 1/2 gallons after it is completely filled, the rest being the compressed air that is providing the motive force. A larger tank would not fit there and would need to be placed somewhere that I could actually use the space for storage. If you want more storage for water, you could always get two of those small tanks and put one on the top with the other on the bottom shelf.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I could get a bigger tank and not have to worry about pressure and that stuff? Just really if I have the space?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Did you try pumping air into the storage tank? That's what gives it the prerssure. About every 2 yrs I have to take my tank out, empty the water and recharge the air.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 100 gpd RO unit, fed intoa 100g cylindrical holding tank then plumbed down into a 45g holding tank(plastic water tanks), then I fill up the tanks or sumps. The 45g is treated with the seachem stuff I need for Gh and KH and heated.

3g holding tank is nothing. what size tank are you using this for?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
3g holding tank is nothing. what size tank are you using this for?
Maybe you are thinking about something different, but if you have an RO unit that has a faucet for dispensing RO water at the sink, that water is held in a pressurized 3g tank. The RO unit processes the water and stores it in the tank. When you turn on the faucet, you get water from the pressurized tank. If you didn't have a tank, the water would drip out of the faucet.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think its a 4g tank not a 3g that I have. Yes or it would stop producing. I do believe my unit produces on demand.

I do have a 4g for my drinking water and ice maker yes.

I thought this was holding for fish tank use. hence why I threw out the big ones. nothing like not having enough water to fill a tank for 8 days lol
Old 08-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont think it matters what size tank you get. My 25gpd I bought I purchased a 4g holding tank, Since moving up size of RO units I got a 14g holding tank that came with it. I think space is the only concern with these potable holding tanks. 14g wont fit between my joists where the 4g one does.(its suspended from the ceiling, RO is in basement, faucet/ice is upstairs.)
Old 08-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

nice. mine is in my bathroom, which is now the mixing room. 14 gallons would make life easier since I am no longer allowed to leave the faucet running to fill a 5 gal bucket. It takes two trips.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got my unit from US water. They have the bigger tanks there too. Its not that big really, maybe about as tall as a propane tank for a BBQ and about 6" wider.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com