Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2005, 03:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Rack your brains.

Ok this is a tough one.

I have a 194g reef. I am currently running a 90 trickle filter which I am switching over to a 70g refuge which I have already purchased. But my dilema is I do not have enough flow in my system. I know this, and didnt really realize i was going to have these problems until after the tank was already set up. To be honest i didnt really know better about the physical applications at the time. I do now but it's a little late.

I have one overflow box on the back left corner of my aquarium. I have a 1.5" Drain line and a 3/4" Return line. At the moment im running somewhere around 1500gph through my system if i account for head height and 90's. This as you know doesn't add up to my 10 rotations an hour. I would honestly like to do around 16-17 but we will see. I am planning to upgrade my pump to a Rio Dart which does i believe 3600gph at 0 head height.

In my overflow box I do not believe i can fit a 2" drain pipe using a durso system. The only way i could fit a 2" drain pipe would be to literally just use the pipe straight up and let it drain straight forward like that. the problems with this are that it is going to be too noisy, and the fact that I can only fit a 1.5" bulkhead on the bottom so i will have a bit of an hour glass effect which im thinking will ruin the whole process anyway.

I know i could just split my return lines and have a pipe running up the right side of the tank which wouldnt look too nice but i would still have drain issues.

Is there any way to do this short of shutting down the entire tank, finding a way to move it back to the store, getting a whole nothing overflow box drilled and siliconed in for like 300$ and the chance of my tank busting?

This is bothering me greatly but i think i may have to eventually bite the bullet unless someone can think of anything that may possibly work.

TIA

Old 06-26-2005, 05:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Could you fit a 2" standpipe in the overflow with a Ken Stockman modification? You would need to double the size of the parts but I think it would be alot easier to fit into the overflow box.. Check out the Stockman Hangon Overflow under Popular Modifications on the dursostandpipe website..
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ (they fixed the site when they moved it.. I can view it with firefox now.. )

The parts needed would be different.. here is what I would assume you would need..
highth of standpipe piece of 2" PVC
4" PVC union fitting
4" to 2" reduction fitting
2" end cap with a 1/8" hole drilled in the top

I would also assume you would need to increase the size of the hole for the standpipe and make or buy a 2" bulkhead as well..

HTH

Old 06-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can't you just add some powerheads in the tank?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You are still limited to the size of the hole in the overflow. Does not matter what size pipe you use above the hole. Even if you used the return bulkhead for a second drain, I don't know if you would have enough for the Dart.

Maybe look into some Tunze streams or some Seio pumps. WOuld be like a PH but the Streams put out some serious flow.

Could look into a closed loop setup as well. That would be easier than tearing the tank down to have it drilled.

HTH
Old 06-27-2005, 12:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think it would be possible to drain the overflow and use a dremel tool to increase the size of the hole in the overflow.. without having to take the tank down.. JMO though..
Old 06-27-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tunze add amazing flow. Try one or two of those!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
Kam
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Kam
Everything I have read says that your flow rate in your refuge should be low and that for extra current in the tank you should use a closed loop or power heads. A high flowing refuge kinda defets the purpose.
2 Green Chromis
1 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
1 Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab
1 Large Turbo Snail
Hitchhickers: 3 Purple sea urchins, lots of rock crabs, pistol shrimp, brittle stars, snails, worms, etc.
and aiptasia, aiptasia, aiptasia (it was free $$)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The flow can be controlled out of the overflow.. ie the refugium can be givin less flow while giving the skimmer and or trickle filter the rest of the flow.. are you going to just have a fuge? or will you skimm and or trickle with the new fuge?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My filter only has 1500GPH flow rate. I get the other 6000GPH from a closed loop.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagi
The flow can be controlled out of the overflow.. ie the refugium can be givin less flow while giving the skimmer and or trickle filter the rest of the flow.. are you going to just have a fuge? or will you skimm and or trickle with the new fuge?
is it going to be a fuge only?? or are you going to have the sump divided up with a skimmer and or trickle filter?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com