Rack your brains.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4enzix

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok this is a tough one.

I have a 194g reef. I am currently running a 90 trickle filter which I am switching over to a 70g refuge which I have already purchased. But my dilema is I do not have enough flow in my system. I know this, and didnt really realize i was going to have these problems until after the tank was already set up. To be honest i didnt really know better about the physical applications at the time. I do now but it's a little late.

I have one overflow box on the back left corner of my aquarium. I have a 1.5" Drain line and a 3/4" Return line. At the moment im running somewhere around 1500gph through my system if i account for head height and 90's. This as you know doesn't add up to my 10 rotations an hour. I would honestly like to do around 16-17 but we will see. I am planning to upgrade my pump to a Rio Dart which does i believe 3600gph at 0 head height.

In my overflow box I do not believe i can fit a 2" drain pipe using a durso system. The only way i could fit a 2" drain pipe would be to literally just use the pipe straight up and let it drain straight forward like that. the problems with this are that it is going to be too noisy, and the fact that I can only fit a 1.5" bulkhead on the bottom so i will have a bit of an hour glass effect which im thinking will ruin the whole process anyway.

I know i could just split my return lines and have a pipe running up the right side of the tank which wouldnt look too nice but i would still have drain issues.

Is there any way to do this short of shutting down the entire tank, finding a way to move it back to the store, getting a whole nothing overflow box drilled and siliconed in for like 300$ and the chance of my tank busting?

This is bothering me greatly but i think i may have to eventually bite the bullet unless someone can think of anything that may possibly work.

TIA

Could you fit a 2" standpipe in the overflow with a Ken Stockman modification? You would need to double the size of the parts but I think it would be alot easier to fit into the overflow box.. Check out the Stockman Hangon Overflow under Popular Modifications on the dursostandpipe website..
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ (they fixed the site when they moved it.. I can view it with firefox now.. :mrgreen: )

The parts needed would be different.. here is what I would assume you would need..
highth of standpipe piece of 2" PVC
4" PVC union fitting
4" to 2" reduction fitting
2" end cap with a 1/8" hole drilled in the top

I would also assume you would need to increase the size of the hole for the standpipe and make or buy a 2" bulkhead as well..

HTH

You are still limited to the size of the hole in the overflow. Does not matter what size pipe you use above the hole. Even if you used the return bulkhead for a second drain, I don't know if you would have enough for the Dart.

Maybe look into some Tunze streams or some Seio pumps. WOuld be like a PH but the Streams put out some serious flow.

Could look into a closed loop setup as well. That would be easier than tearing the tank down to have it drilled.

HTH

I would think it would be possible to drain the overflow and use a dremel tool to increase the size of the hole in the overflow.. without having to take the tank down.. JMO though..

Tunze add amazing flow. Try one or two of those!

Everything I have read says that your flow rate in your refuge should be low and that for extra current in the tank you should use a closed loop or power heads. A high flowing refuge kinda defets the purpose.

The flow can be controlled out of the overflow.. ie the refugium can be givin less flow while giving the skimmer and or trickle filter the rest of the flow.. are you going to just have a fuge? or will you skimm and or trickle with the new fuge?

greenmagi said:
The flow can be controlled out of the overflow.. ie the refugium can be givin less flow while giving the skimmer and or trickle filter the rest of the flow.. are you going to just have a fuge? or will you skimm and or trickle with the new fuge?

is it going to be a fuge only?? or are you going to have the sump divided up with a skimmer and or trickle filter?

Back
Top Bottom