Random acrylic tank size.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IShallNtEatFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well first off this isn't a question. It's more of a build thread that is going to act as my journal of a new tank my boyfriend and I are setting up. So the other day I found a couple of cheap tanks off Craigslist. Without thinking about anything I grabbed them. My and I are working with the larger of the three a rimless acrylic tank with a random size, it's 3 foot long, 10 inches wide and 17 inches tall. I tried to calculate the gallons and it comes up a weird 26.something gallons.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392768703.983198.jpg

Please ignore the random stuff that is in it. That is some other things that came with this tank. The guy I got them from didn't remember when the last time they were set up was.

Also forgot to mention boyfriend wants to do a free breeding colony of mollies/platies/swordtails...

I'm not sure of how thick but I'm pretty sure it's for fish. It's for the weirdest top to be a critter keeper. I didn't get pics of the top(it's at my sisters till I can set it up). Also the front two corners aren't sharp they are more curved...

Looks like a very nice tank! If he wants to do free breeding then he should plant it and give the fry a surviving chance! That said, I hope he has a back-up plan because it will become over stocked very fast which leads me.to my next point. If he is gonna do free breeding, I suggest the 406 because all those fish are very messy, especially mollies and swordtails

Thanks! I think he is just gonna move his current few mollies and swordtails over and let them take over..... So the 406 not the 306? We went looking today and there is a pretty good deal at one of the stores in town. He also wants to do his favorite thing bubble wands. Make a curtain of bubbles in the back!! :) and ya it's gonna be planted. Thinking of if we wanna do sand or fine gravel

Thanks! I think he is just gonna move his current few mollies and swordtails over and let them take over..... So the 406 not the 306? We went looking today and there is a pretty good deal at one of the stores in town. He also wants to do his favorite thing bubble wands. Make a curtain of bubbles in the back!! :) and ya it's gonna be planted. Thinking of if we wanna do sand or fine gravel

Yeah I would push for the 406 because its bigger and better. Online at drfostersmith.com the 406 is only 199$ with free shipping. It's a lot of filtration but yall will appreciate it later stocking with those fish

i just got a huge bag if pool filter sand, it's pretty nice actually , like in between sand and small/fine gravel.. Pretty cheap stuff, do you have any pool supply stores around?

i just got a huge bag if pool filter sand, it's pretty nice actually , like in between sand and small/fine gravel.. Pretty cheap stuff, do you have any pool supply stores around?

I get bags of those for 5$ at homedepot or lowes! 50lb bags

I would say 26g is pretty close. A 29g is 6" shorter, but 1" taller and 2" wider. Acrylic tanks come in all sorts of weird sizes.

It looks like a very nice tank, be careful when setting it up though! Acrylic scratches easily.

I couldn't find pool filter sand at Home Depot or Lowes, it may be a seasonal thing where I live.

I would say 26g is pretty close. A 29g is 6" shorter, but 1" taller and 2" wider. Acrylic tanks come in all sorts of weird sizes.

It looks like a very nice tank, be careful when setting it up though! Acrylic scratches easily.

I couldn't find pool filter sand at Home Depot or Lowes, it may be a seasonal thing where I live.

Very strange!

Well we were talking and he kinda likes the idea of half and half gravel and sand ... I saw it on here one time. Wanna make to look natural,tan sand and brown gravel

Well now he is wanting to have shrimp and snails too... So a CUC and he wants a Pleco, I said no to the Pleco.

Back
Top Bottom