Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post

With HOBs that is a tell tale sign you need to clean your media out. With canisters you will experience decreased flow when your media needs changed. Odor or water params going out of whack should not happen unless you let one run for a year straight with no maintenance.

To the OP, keep up on your routine maintenance and this shouldn't be an issue. I'm not saying that you're not doing routine work but maybe be a little more thorough in cleaning the pads.

My AC50 did it once, and that was when I left the country for a few weeks and it needed cleaned badly.
I agree 100% with this post. If you have a good routine you'll have little to no issues.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post

With HOBs that is a tell tale sign you need to clean your media out. With canisters you will experience decreased flow when your media needs changed. Odor or water params going out of whack should not happen unless you let one run for a year straight with no maintenance.

To the OP, keep up on your routine maintenance and this shouldn't be an issue. I'm not saying that you're not doing routine work but maybe be a little more thorough in cleaning the pads.

My AC50 did it once, and that was when I left the country for a few weeks and it needed cleaned badly.
I think that is only the case if you have a manageable bioload. I think most tend to overstock but I may be incorrect on that assumption. Depending on your stock a year might be too long to see those effects. I think it also depends on the filter. With a fluval, they have that bypass system which I don't really understand, and it could hide that fact that media may be inefficient at that time. I like my Rena xp4 on the turtle tank because its clear and I can visually see the buildup. But again my experience and I certainly don't speak for everyone.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I believe I read a pet soultion mag that came in yesterday that they are doing the 1 year supply of free aquaclear inserts.....For anyone buying a new unit and is new to the hobby....Just sayin
Old 04-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
I believe I read a pet soultion mag that came in yesterday that they are doing the 1 year supply of free aquaclear inserts.....For anyone buying a new unit and is new to the hobby....Just sayin
http://www.petco.com/assets/pdf/Aqua...lterRebate.pdf
Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a Rena xp-2 canister, marineland HOB, and a HOB whisper sitting in the garage because my AC 110 has put them out of work. When I do my bi-weekly water changes I can gauge my water level in the filter by when to clean it. Also keep in mind, I do not use all AC filter media products so if you have your sponge, a bag of biowhatever, and 15lbs of carbon, it's not going to be able to cycle the GPH the pump is rated at without the water going somewhere.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndI3kAY View Post
That's sounds all well and good but the only issue with that is... I haven't replaced my sponge yet, if you call them (Hagan) they will tell you every month or every other month. Which I 100% disagree with. It's a marketing gimmick to get you to spend money.

It's says you have to but them for a full year and then they will buy you a full year after the fact...

6 foam and 12 carbon? That's a lot for there "recommend annual replacements"

Am I understanding that right? You have to meet the requirements to get them? Like I said I haven't changed my sponge in over a year and carbon I haven't used in about 6 months, I don't even buy it.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 04-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
You have to meet the requirements to get them?
If that the case then....lol Not sure how it works..but if it's simple & it's free others can zip lock all the carbon when the times is needed and save the sponges as well.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

In regards to efficiency, I find chemical filtration to be sub par compared to mechanical and biological and shouldn't even be needed. This is why I promote canister filtration because it allows for much greater surface area for beneficial bacteria colonies with several trays for potential growth. To somewhat contradict myself, I am now a huge proponent of seachems purigen and it out plays carbon tremendously in performance and price. It's an excellent finishing touch for polishing.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You don't have to buy a full year's worth of filters. They match what you buy. I bought 2 and they sent me 2 more. They're in the cabinet for when i need to replace them in a year or two.

Ive never had a problem with floating sponges. I clean them every other week but i also keep the bag of noodles on top to weigh them down.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
You don't have to buy a full year's worth of filters. They match what you buy. I bought 2 and they sent me 2 more. They're in the cabinet for when i need to replace them in a year or two.

Ive never had a problem with floating sponges. I clean them every other week but i also keep the bag of noodles on top to weigh them down.
That's pretty cool, oh well... I just bought like 2 years of pads, sponges etc etc etc. it was all listed in a thread a out being prepared.

Tags
aquaclear, clear, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com