Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Rant: I HATE AquaClear filters!!

Tonight's incident has pretty much put me over the edge on these filters...
Long story short, I'm a college student and live about 25 minutes from home in a dorm. I get a text from my dad saying how the filter is getting water everywhere and is "not working right".

The problem was (and it has happened multiple times in the past) is that the whole media basket gets 'pushed up' from the water pressure and so half the media is out of the filter and water trickles out onto the floor. I clean this thing top to bottom literally every week now to help with this.

Also, it always takes multiple tries to turn it back on after water changes, I'll fill it with water and just quietly hear the motor, but it's clearly not totally going. So I have to dump out the water and unhook the motor a few times before it finally turns on.

Also, sometimes the water flows over the edge and gets water all over the floor when it decides to "go crazy" with the water on top where it's not a nice smooth flow like it should be.

Also, some weeks it's totally silent, but other weeks it sounds like a train wreck happening inside my bedroom.

There's another 5 or so "Also's" but I'll leave it at that. This is the 3rd one I'm on in the last year, I guess this will be my last.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if you can, try Marineland. never ever had issues with them. i dont think i've used an aquaclear in years

Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Marineland is actually exactly what I've been looking at, will have to give them a shot!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb View Post
if you can, try Marineland. never ever had issues with them. i dont think i've used an aquaclear in years
Whoops double post.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just had that same problem last night. The filter media pushed up or the top came off, i dont know really but i woke up to a big mess...at 7am. Now after cleaning and drying everything and working 8 hours i am exhausted, but totally paranoid to go to sleep!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 on Marineland HOBs...I've been using Marineland Penguin filters for 8+ years and never had any overflow issues with them.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting. I've had AquaClears and haven't had issues and actually they are my favorite filters after having those bio wheel ones and even a Fluval fx5. I went back to 2 AC110's on my 75 gallon.

Not disputing all the issues and certainly not defending them. Everyone has opinions and there own experiences. Like me, I hated the canister and will never get another one lol.

On another note. The pushing up is when the sponge gets full or clogged. It will push up then. I simply took the grey media insert out.

No issues. I run a sponge, ploy fill, purigen and bio rings. I clean my filters pretty much one every month. I just did one and in 3 weeks I'll do the other. They've worked great for me.

Even have a AC70 in my soon to be planted tank in the bedroom and I don't hear anything other then the water gently hitting the surface.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Marineland Penguin filters are amazing. I don't like aquaclear filters as I got 2 filters that where included with an aquarium set. When I opened the boxes, the impellers wouldn't spin when I turned on, but vibrate instead. I tried to make it spin and the cheap plastic broke from the impeller blades. Had to make a diy impeller from a broken powerhead and it works. That was the only reason why I don't like them, because of the cheap impellers IMO. I recently had to buy a new filter for a new 20g tank and knew that I needed to try out a Penguin Filter. +1 For Marineland.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah in my experience with aqua clear all they do is overflow. I find that HOB filters in general are not as good as a solid canister filter but I know people will object. I'm raising a red eared slider and for turtle owners our only option for filtration is a canister filter due to the tremendous bioload. So that has carried to my fish keeping. I'd prefer to spend the money on a good canister filter but HOB's are easier to maintain. For a small quarantine tank I have an aqueon HOB and I really like it but I know most people like the marinelands as mentioned
Old 04-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[QUOTE=bshenanagins;2420088good canister filter but HOB's are easier to maintain. [/QUOTE]

I find the canister for me is easier. Shut off, open, looks at filter.... looks good, back on.

Tags
aquaclear, clear, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com