RapidLED Onyx LED fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
Onyx by Rapid LED - Rapid LED

The dimmable version will come out sometimes in the first half of 2013. Its a lot cheaper than the big names like Radion LED. I'm trying to get pics of the fixture hanging over a tank.

Thoughts?

I kind of think they rushed on the release, they should of wait for the Dimmable version to come out first, cuz there are many no name brand LED out there that provides good PAR if not great, but most of them have functions such as built-in timer /dimmer etc. even reefbreeder has few version of the LED can pretty much match the Onyx. Unless they can prove the unit is made in US, the price itself actually is a bit too high when comes to a fixture with no functions

Thanks for referring me to reefbuilders and buildmyled :)

I looked on the reefbuilder website. Their dimmable with timer LED is all bridgelux LEDs, which is not as cost effective as the Cree in terms of electricity savings and "best bang for the buck". Their newest LED the Supernova will be operating mostly on Crees, but some will be Bridgelux. The Supernova will probably cost and operate on the same level as RapidLED's dimmable version when it comes out next year.

I want to research how much more effective Bridgelux in terms of cost/power/benefits compared to Crees.

I am looking for something that will accommodate a center brace. The Supernova looked really ideal for avoiding the center brace, but the price seems a lot more than a simple DIY kit with Crees.

Bridgelux is about 15% to 20% less efficient compare to CREE, but CREE is about 30% to 40% more expesnive.

This only set true when the bridgelux and CREE are on even setting.
1) Current
2)watts per LED
3)Driver

With lack of information on rapidled site, it concerns me a bit.
It says total 28 LEDs, which means some LEDs are at 5w but running with lower current to adds up to the 90W,just like the one I am selling,
The only thing different is that all the LED made up the Pharos LED are all CREEs and for Onyx, 1 of the LED is made by OSRM (Germany) and 4 of the LEDs (violet ) could be made by either bridgelux or EPISTAR.

The reason why I said they rushed it is because most these fixtures are not able to control by the brand name controllers and most unlikely can be upgraded in the future. That is the main reason why I said they rushed it and the price for a no function and none upgradable fixture price at $279 is a bit too high. If I am going to save money upfront, I would of go with bridgelux chip which cost about $200 for 120W fixture with dimming. And for those people that doesn't concern about up-front cost and want more functions, they would of getting some fixtures that already able to do dimming with timer and effects for maybe extra $200.

Thanks for the info! Makes me feel like jumping onto the Bridgelux bandwagon.

I just realized you're a vendor.

I am, but I am speaking in general, not really promoting my own brand. Of course I am welcome you guys choose my products, but I like people fully understand what they are getting not base on certain vendor's claim, including RapidLED, I think they are using their own name/brand to over price that fixture to start with. I just hate to see people buying it for their brand rather than the actual $ vs usage.

Back
Top Bottom