Rattling filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Fluval C3 is still making a rattling noise after lubing it twice (the second time I lubed it I coated the impeller shaft and the impeller itself with vaseline and even the inside of the on the sides where the impeller shaft is. I plugged it in and primed it and it's still rattling, not really bad, but it's noticeable if the room is quiet. I just got this filter today so nothing is broken on it. How do I fix this issue or will it go away on its own?

I noticed the same thing on my aquaclear 70 and I've had it running 14 days today. About 2-3 nights ago I noticed it started to get a good bit quieter. I think it is building up a biofilm or slime inside it making it take less. Not sure if that will happen on the C3 but it was a noticable difference on my AC 70

Sometimes I agree, they need to get the groove going and maybe the slime. Have had it happen a number of times, and after a few days, or a week or so it quiets down. If it does not quiet down, I would call the company and ask about just getting some helpful tips, or a replacement from the local store if they are willing, or if not the manufacturer.

I have 32 aquaclears and one of mine rattled to no end !
I tried everything and it never stopped...I ordered new impellar and shaft but upon comparison of my old and new I found no fault with old and went about re installing it one more time..
This time I noted the shaft was up just a smidge but I could not get it in any more by hand...I removed the impellar andI took a pencil , used the eraser end to push the impellar down just that little bit more [like 3/16 inch] and well the filter is silent since..
At least I have an extra shaft and impellar now...
Try pushing the shaft in with out the impellar..
Good luck..
I love my Aquaclears and swear by them not at them !

Back
Top Bottom