Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

What the ?%$@#%$ am I doing wrong??

I just attempted sealing it up again and when I got all done, removed blue tape, etc, and checked everything over, I found little air bubbles along the vertical seams. So I razored it all off immediately. How do you avoid the little bubbles? The AGA brand says to run the bead in front of the nozzle, but that's near impossible when you're using a caulking gun. I am really frustrated if you can't tell.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #52
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

ahhh dont get frustrated... that stuff happens. just try again, make sure you keep the silicone almost too goopy in front of the tube, push it in to the seam. once you get done, go over the bead with a wedge to make a consistant bead... try that, thats about the only thing i could think of

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

lay the bead down then stick your finger in warm soapy water (keep wetting your finger) and run your finger over the fresh silicone pressing into the seem then smooth it out with a couple soft passes of your wet finger then remove the tape. Notes to repair man: have a lot of paper towels on hand. Give it a go you should be fine. Oh if you feel you need more (check it before you remove the blue tape) in a spot put it on the spot while it's still fresh and press it in with your finger then re smooth it out.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had no problem smoothing it out, only I'm not sure how the wet finger technique helps, I smoothed it out the went over it again with the wet finger. Should I do the wet finger smooth out right after running the bead?

The more I thought about it I wonder if I had a better bead the first time because the hole in the squeeze tube was smaller and I was able to run the bead in front of the tube better, because I could get a better angle on it while applying it.

I'm thinking next time that I will make sure I have the tip of the caulking tube pressed against both panes instead of hovering a little bit. I tried to make sure that I was running the caulk out in front of the direction I was going like I did the first time, I guess I have to make sure it's right up against the glass.

I'm assuming that even if there is the slightest small bubble in the caulk in between the glass joint seal and the new bead, that under water pressure that air bubble will push right through the existing seals at the joint and cause a leak. However, if there's no way the water can get to that point because the new corner seal is bonded to the glass on the sides, do I really have anything to worry about?

I have yet to find a tool that has a tight enough corner to use to make a nicely rounded bead on the vertical joints. I used over 1/2 of a 10 oz tube of caulk and the rounding tool I started to use didn't touch some of it so I had to go with my finger. Last time I used less than 1/2 of a 3 oz tube. I need a pointier tool and I haven't come across one. I had so much caulk on it this time that when I ran my finger up the seam it gooed out around to one side or the other, so I had to run it a couple of times to round it out. It looked OK (very rough on the surface, but OK) until I saw all the tiny bubbles. I found a larger bubble and tried to work it out, but it had already started to skim over and it got very messy, that's when I dropped a couple f bombs and scraped it off.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

The warm ( as warm as you can tolerates it) soapy allows your finger glide over the top of the silicone better and leaves a smooth finish (note: you have to do it before a skin develops or all bets are off). And yes you must go slow and keep the tip pressed firmly against both panes of glass. I've found it easier to use my finger because it's easier to wipe off with a paper towel.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just wanted to say good luck, these guys got me through resealing my 100 gal. tank, and i know that if i can do it then you can too.
Be sure to post pics when done.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
You have to reduce the size of the avatar quite a bit otherwise it wont be accepted, your file is probably to large.
Yay! I figured out the avatar! I was in the wrong place (profile picture) DUH.

No 3rd attempt on the 37 yet.

Tags
37 gallon, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com