Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Re sealing an aquarium

Hello everyone, I am new to this page and this is my first post. I recently aquired a 125 gallon aquarium for free due to the fact that it started leaking . The leak is actually in the seal at the floor of the tank. I want to make a new home for my turtle, so I am looking into re-sealing it. I understand that this is quite the project and as this is my first time doing this, I would appreciate any tips. I understand that I will need to completely take the tank apart to properly seal it again and that I need to use aquarium calk, what is the best brand? How do I get the black frame off with out damaging it? And if for some reason I can not get it back on when the project is done, does it actually need to be in place to assist with holding the tank together? I am very nervous about this, I want to learn all I can before I start. Thank you!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How.much water will be in it? 5 or 6 inches?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 06-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hello, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to this hobby. However when I got my 90 gallon tank I also had to reseal due to a leak as well. Don't be nervous it's very easy! The black frame simply pries right off. Remove sealant with a razor blade. Once removed clean well with alcohol or something that doesn't leave a greasy residue (probably not the right word but whatever). Then just seal everything back up with aquarium safe sealant. Use tape to make clean sealant lines. Remember too seal inside the tank as water will be causing pressure against this. Also, I'm not 100% on this but maybe someone else will confirm but I think sealant from local hardware store once cured/dried it's safe for aquarium. Hope this helps. Also, im sure there's some helpful YouTube videos. Of course remember to fill with water and monitor for any leaks. Good Luck.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
How.much water will be in it? 5 or 6 inches?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
At first there wont be much water, only a few inches, but as my turtle grows, we will add more water. Possibly up to 10 inches of water.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dap is a brand that is aquarium safe that I've used in the past. Home Depot and Lowes. Some LFS' carry All Glass and Marineland which is WAY more expensive. I would suggest not removing the upper frame since it will not be filled to the top. If you decide to, make sure you tape all the outside corners, both top and bottom, PRIOR to removing the frame. If not, a panel may fall and you'll have a whole new vocabulary 😳😂😡.

Tags
aquarium, sea, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com