Reactor 1000 in-line with 5/8" cannister outlet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CGGorman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anybody running an Aqua-Medic Reactor 1000? I'm starting to assemble my pressurized CO2 system and would like to mount the reactor in-line with the filter outlet plumbing. Problem is, the filter uses 5/8" tubing and the reactor uses 1/2". I can't find any listings for replacement parts or alternate size fittings.

I will drill and tap for new barb fittings if I must, but I'm concerned about durability going that route. carbonic acid reactions with any epoxies or plastics? I would use either brass or PVC for the new fittings.

Another option is to use a 1/2-to-5/8 barb transition with a short length of hose, but again, I'm concerned about the carbonic and also the restriction.

If you have plumbed this unit in-line with a 5/8 hose, how did you do it?

lg_13995_21193P.jpg

Well, I got my cylinder filled at lunch ($15, no wait, at the local AGA welding supplier) and bought a couple nylon 5/8" barb x 1/2" MIP adapters.

Went back to the shop and drilled/tapped the Reactor 1000 endcaps. A little teflon tape and WHAMO, instant 5/8" compatible Reactor 1000. The plastic that Aqua-medic uses to mold these parts is easy to machine. Only problem was getting a good grip on the thing. I thought about epoxying the fittings together, but opted for tape instead. Figured if the nylon fatigues over time, I can easily replace it that way.

1/2" seems pretty small considering that the recommended volume through the reactor is a minimum 300 gph and up to something like 600 gph to support the big tanks.

I know 1/2" will exceed 300GPH, (i've tested it off my Maxi-Jet 1200)

I have some phosban reactors on their way that will do the exact same as this (30$), just waiting on it. Also 1/2" fittings..

I can't remember where I saw it, but 1/2" is capable of about 600GPH under pressure.

Nice work CG :) I've got a Reactor 1000 that I have plumbed in-line with my XP3 outlet, although my hosing was 1/2" all the way through and I didn't have to do any modifications. I works very well, the only issues (and it's not really an issue) is that I have to bleed the gas that accumulates in the reactor every couple of weeks. But that's not a problem because the manufacturer's were smart and included a bleed valve on the product. I just love German engineering :D

I haven't got mine hooked up yet, but if the reactor is accumulating CO2, shouldn't you lower your bubble count or increase your water flow?

Back
Top Bottom