Reactor help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick93

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's over all better a gfo+carbon reactor or a bio pellet reactor both are from bulk reef supply thanks

It depends on your objectives.

GFO adsorbs phosphate and carbon adsorbs toxins, meds and dissolved organic compounds (among other things).

Biopellets target phosphate and nitrate through bacteria processes in conjuction with protein skimming (as I understand it).

I just set up a 2 reactor system. Used 2 150 TLF phosban reactors, one for carbon and one for bio pellets.

I used GFO for a few days & got my phosphate from .5 to almost 0 then removed the GFO and replaced with bio pellets.

Bio pellets are a form of carbon dosing, where the pellets break down and release carbon (not the same as activated carbon) to develop bacteria that consume nitrate & phosphate and are subsequently removed by the skimmer.

I have the reactors in line with my Fluval 405, and seems to be working great. No extra pumps or lines to the tank.

I always haves little bit of nitrates so I will go with the bio pellet reactor to hopefully keep them at 0 also how do phosphates get into the tank?

1. Phosphate can be introduced into the tank via food.

2. Phosphate bound in the tank can also be released into the water. As I undertand it the rock and sand can sequester phosphate and this bound phosphate can be released when phosphate in the water is reduced.

3. Phosphate is a 'building block' of life and can be released into the water as life forms die and aren't removed (fish, inverts, corals, including hitch hikers).

4. Phosphate (since it is contained in food) is present is fish and invert waste mater.

5. If you're using tap water, it may be introduced during water changes.

Back
Top Bottom