Reactors for Fresh and saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

04Cobra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm going to be setting up two tanks, one freshwater and one marine/fish/reef. I keep reading about GFO, biopellet, and calcium reactors. Are these items necessary and are they for both fresh water and marine?

I have research these items but can find nothing specific about when they should be used. It also seems that the biopellet reactor removes the need for a GFO reactor. Maybe I should go in for something a little less complicated, like a home nuclear power plant. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

They aren't absolutely necessary for all tanks. It depends on the system. I would think nitrate reducing media would work in either application, although most people don't worry too much about nitrates in a fresh water tank, and the same goes for a salt water fish only tank. It's when you get into corals that you want to pay close attention to the nitrates. It's not rocket science. It just takes a little practice.
That said, I don't run any reactors or media in my system. I simply use protein skimming (this is just a kind of filter for salt water...not complicated at all), water changes, and reasonable feeding to control my water quality.

When u set up a tank its going to be awhile before any corals are sucking up calcium so fast u need a constant supply. My tank for the first long while had a very easy to maintain calcium reading. Now I have alot of sps and lps corals and they are still small so dosing calcium is barely needed. Unless u have a big tank and u need a constant supply of calcium to be introduced to the water it isn't needed. To much calcium can lower ur ph

On the other hand a phospate reactor is cheap and not as complicated as a calcium reactor so if u feel u want a reactor get a phosphate (probably not needed thou).

Back
Top Bottom