ready to purchase an ro/di unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking to purchase a ro/di unit with my anticipated tax refund. I have a 20 gallon tank so I won't be making a ton of water. Any suggestions on a good quality unit that won't cost me an arm and a leg ?

I love the BRS systems. They are mid-range price wise, but really decent quality.

I like the 5 stage PLUS system. You will want the added items that the plus comes with (flush valve, pressure gauge, and TDS meter). If you buy a cheaper system, eventually you will want to add these items anyway.

5 Stage PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

Personally, I'd avoid the cheaper systems that are out there, like some of the economy systems on ebay. Have heard a lot of bad things about the waste water ratio, seals, filter life, filter replacement, leaks, etc.

I had one of those cheap ebay systems. complete crap IMO. BRS seems to be highly regarded. The system I ended up upgrading to was fantastic. It had a booster pump and I was able to make water a whole lot faster. Vertex Puratek. I got mine in a trade deal with bad cartridges, so new cartridges from BRS and I had an awesome system putting out 0 TDS after the DI stage. They cost a lot (like $400 or so last I remember), so it's probably a bit much for such a small tank... but the ability to use a float switch vs a float valve to shut it off was soooo nice. I felt a lot better about it, although I typically just hooked it up and tried to remember to shut it off (sometimes, water dripping from the ceiling would remind me).

Buckeye Hydo

Just my two cents. Check out the Buckeye Hydro units. I bought one and the prices want break you budget.

I will be doing a BRS Group Buy in a couple of weeks, and the RO systems will be discounted by about 11-15%. With free shipping (if it's over $175, you can't beat the deal).

Hey dmolavi.
How do I get in on a group buy. I looked into BRS systems and they all have good reviews. Should have my tax refund by then...

I'll be making a post in a couple of weeks in the Admin forum here. Just make sure you have an account at BRS, then when you see the post, PM me your last name and email address. You'll get an email from BRS when the buy starts and you can make your purchase. You buy what you want, and it ships to you (unlike other group buys where one person makes all the purchases for the group).

Back
Top Bottom