Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Really Loud Elite 802

So I bought an elite 802 air pump yesterday (I was looking for a smaller one but of course, they had a zillion 802s and nothing more. Thank you walmart.) I am only using one of the ports, and have the other port plugged off with a piece of tube with a valve on it.

It works great but the thing is so loud that it drowns out the sound of all the other equiptment put together. I know I will not be able to sleep with this thing on. Any ideas on how to buffer the sound? I tried putting it in a showbox wrapped in a large towel, and it makes it bearable, but I'm worried it might get hot and either overheat or cause a fire. Would insulation work better as a sound buffer?

In my dorm room last year I used to turn the pumps off at night so I could sleep and turn them back on in the morning. The tank I have now is a 5 gallon and I just added a home-made sponge filter to it. It already has a HOB but I want to switch them eventually (after the tank finishes cycling)

Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Really Loud Elite 802

So I bought a 2 port air pump the other day, Elite 802. It is so loud that it vibrates my head!

I have tried putting it in a showbox wrapped in a towel, which makes it more bearable, but I'm worried it might overheat or be a fire hazzard. Any thoughts?

Any ideas how I could buffer the sound even more? Like using insulation instead of a towel?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Merged these two posts.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, I had a browser problem and thought it didn't post the first time. Thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

The second outlet you say you have it closed off with a valve. That is most likely making the racket. Take the valve off and just let it pump air to no ware.

In the past when I used pumps and I had one like you do and I would wrap it in a towel. Air could still get in an pumped to my tank but it seemed to help.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I went to the LFS and got an aquaclear 10, and it is MUCH quieter. I can't hardly even hear it the 802 of going back to the store.

Tags
elite, loud

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com